This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Pruning Giant Ambulia

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by brwaldbaum, Aug 1, 2016.

1. brwaldbaum

brwaldbaum Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:43 AM
    75 gal, 3 x T5HO, 10 hour photoperiod, CO2 injected, inert substrate, water column fertilization

Plants: Ranalisma rostrata, Ludwigia palustris, Rotala something-or-other, Blyxa japonica, Myriophyllum mattogrossense, Limnophila indica, Limnophila aquatica

I'm having an issue with Limnophila aquatica. Whenever I uproot and top, the growth tips of the replanted tops die within a week. In their place, 2 or 3 new growth tips form on each plant. Is there a way to prevent this? All other plants are unproblematic after pruning.

2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Hmm. I have not seen this issue with giant Limno. With the large frilly Pogostemon, yes. But not any Limno. Tip 'misbehavior' is usually nutrient/CO2 related.

Do you have true L. aquatica or what has been going around as L. sp. Gigantea?

3. brwaldbaum

brwaldbaum Junior Poster

Local Time:
  4. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Yeah, that's the same plant. Got mine from Tom a year or two ago. Loved it for a while. But it wanted to take over the world, so I gave it away. Too weedy.

Still puzzled at the tip death issue. Limnos are not known for that issue. Any tip stunting issue with Rotala? CO2 OK? Regular water changes?

5. brwaldbaum

brwaldbaum Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Everything grows well. No noticeable algae on the plants, including the Giant Ambulia. I do a 50% w.c. once a week.