This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Pruning driftwood in tank

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by th3budd, Mar 28, 2017.

1. th3budd

th3budd Subscriber

Local Time:
    1:10 AM
    Does anybody have any experience with pruning driftwood (Manzania) that is waterlogged and is in an established tank? Were there any problems with extra tannins leaching out, bacteria, etc.?

2. th3budd

th3budd Subscriber

Local Time:
    After no responses I went ahead and pruned 2 finger sized limbs to no ill effect. After a few other issues settle down and the tank is stabilized again I will try some thumb sized limbs.

3. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:10 PM
    I know you have come to your own conclusions, but I don't think tannins would really affect anything, they do sell it as an addition to tank water (black water powder), but anything leaching out would be negligible.Would many anaerobic bacteria be living in the wood? Can't say for sure, but in gardening when you bury wood under your seed beds (hugelculture) the wood needs nitrogen to decompose faster, so I don't think the waterlogged wood would support a huge culture of bad bacteria.

I did did do a tank before without soaking the new wood and the worst that happened was a weird whitish bacteria grew on some parts of the wood, but it went away on its own accord after a bit.

4. th3budd

th3budd Subscriber

Local Time:
    Thanks Kyalgae, when I first put the manzania in my tank I got the same white slime that eventually turned black and fell off. I did get some slime on the cuts but my oto cats have been working on it. I've just recently done more pruning and no issue with tannins. I had soaked the wood and changed the water repeatedly before putting it in the tank.

5. f-fish

f-fish Member

Local Time:
    2:10 AM
    Thread is slightly old, but I will share my experience. I have a dedicated gardena lopper that I use only for aquarium wood stuff.

Classic Pruning Lopper 480B

Maximum cutting diameter: 30 mm
    Length: 48 cm
    Cutting type: Bypass
    Upper blade: Non-stick coated, Precision-ground

This works very well for previously cured wood, I do not do the trimming under the water, but rather at water change or rescape, I did not notice any extra tannins. No issues on dry wood either but do consider the diameter of what you are trying to cut.

Later Ferdie