This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Pros And Cons Of Gfci

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Kathy328i, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Kathy328i

Kathy328i Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:19 AM
    It's been recommended that I NOT add a GFCI outlet for my 120 gallon tank setup because the GFCI occasionally trips and that would be disastrous if it happened while away on vacation. It was recommended that I arrange the electric cords as "drip" lines.

Pros and Cons?

2. Deanna

Deanna New Member

Local Time:
    4:19 AM
    My tank sits on an open stand and has various electrical connections, underneath, running through a UPS. There was no avoiding it: occasionally, it was carelessly or uncontrollably doused with enough water to fry it (meaning a new one had to be purchased). I added an inline GFCI (not a wall outlet) and when it does happen, the GFCI steps in and saves it. Additionally, I like the idea of never worrying about an unpleasant surprise when I put my hands in the tank. However, equipment shorting occurrences are reported to be extremely rare. In three years, the GFCI triggered while I was away, once, but that was only a day. If I'm to be out for more than a day or two, and no one is home to attend a problem, I simply unplug it from the GFCI and bypass it.

Tags: