Problem with plants (chlorosis,brown leaves,twisted tips)

Pikez

Rotala Killer!
May 12, 2013
Close (but not too close) to LA
90% of the time, IT IS CO2-related.

It's when you're consistently adding fish-gasping levels of CO2 and still have issues that drives people (me included) nuts.

You may want to try lower light, more flow, and lower plant density, all of which helps with CO2.

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
Unless there is a dead spot, i doubt this is co2 related just by judging by the diffuser and method, all in the picture. Sorry Vin, i disagree :) , a diffuser of that caliber on that sized tank, its pretty easier to get co2 right despite bubble count which seems pretty high as there is mist but as well big bubbles rushing to the top

Look at the drop checker as well as an indicator, its not the greatest and reliable but it does show basis.

My guess is your blasting too much light and o2 levels are too poor. Are you observing your plants at night? how are they respiring? you see a good stretch of growth?

jpark

Junior Poster
Jul 3, 2016
strungout said:
Unless there is a dead spot, i doubt this is co2 related just by judging by the diffuser and method, all in the picture. Sorry Vin, i disagree :) , a diffuser of that caliber on that sized tank, its pretty easier to get co2 right despite bubble count which seems pretty high as there is mist but as well big bubbles rushing to the top
Look at the drop checker as well as an indicator, its not the greatest and reliable but it does show basis.

My guess is your blasting too much light and o2 levels are too poor. Are you observing your plants at night? how are they respiring? you see a good stretch of growth?

Hey thanks for your input. Too much light could be an issue but with full EI dosing, would that be a problem? Currently I have Finnex Ray 2 and Finnex Planted + on my setup.Â

Low oxygen could be the cause, I have a lily pipe right under the water surface with decent amount of ripples but I'll raise it a bit more to get more surface movement. I also have a surface skimmer (though not sure how much that helps with oxygenating the water).Â

You asked about respiring, something I was not aware of. Are there certain things I should look out for during the "off" period?Â

Again thank you for your response.

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
Yes with too much lighting no matter the fert, regime, plants just can't Compete with the easier growing algae.

o2 as long u have no surface scum, should not be an issue. Your skimmer helps w that. At night u should see rotala leaves stretching upward, in which I would try increase o2 at night. No surface scum, but also I like to eliminate any bubble dissapation as well. So no bubbles at all of co2 grinding along the surface. If anything I'd say u have too much co2 wo enough o2 but I'm not saying decrease co2. No. Just add more o2 at night. Are u injecting 24 7 co2?

the only thing I can answer of respiration is the stretching to the surface. Not stretching but I guess surfacing?

jpark

Junior Poster
Jul 3, 2016
strungout said:
Yes with too much lighting no matter the fert, regime, plants just can't Compete with the easier growing algae.

o2 as long u have no surface scum, should not be an issue. Your skimmer helps w that. At night u should see rotala leaves stretching upward, in which I would try increase o2 at night. No surface scum, but also I like to eliminate any bubble dissapation as well. So no bubbles at all of co2 grinding along the surface. If anything I'd say u have too much co2 wo enough o2 but I'm not saying decrease co2. No. Just add more o2 at night. Are u injecting 24 7 co2?

the only thing I can answer of respiration is the stretching to the surface. Not stretching but I guess surfacing?

I don't add any oxygen at night, hence why even 4 hours after the light turns off, my drop checker with 4dkh solution is still lime green? Maybe your right, it could be an oxygen issue, I'll set a air pump to turn on after the CO2 and lights are turned off to see if it helps. I'm only injecting CO2 1 hour before the lights turn on and 1 hour before the lights turn off.Â

jpark

Junior Poster
Jul 3, 2016
strungout said:
In reading other topics to ignite this as well, too much mist can have negative effects.

This is actually very interesting, I read some topics on it but just in case, could you guide me to the specific topic, if you dont mind?

jpark

Junior Poster
Jul 3, 2016
strungout said:
Sorry sir, i cannot link you. Barr wrote it I can tell you that, from there I took the observation on my tank.

Okay then I think its the same post that I have read. Relates to periphyton yeah? Anyways I thank you for your comments and attention, I will change the parameters a bit to see how it goes and post back here with the results. Thanks!