Problem with 5lbs tank dead in a week..

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
All of a sudden my 5lbs co2 does not last more then a week after a fresh fill. I checked all the connections by dipping them into a bowl of water and no leaks were found. I run about 1-2 bps 8hrs a day.

I used to run 9+ bps and it would last a month and a half .. what gives!!

What do you guys think?

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
You have a leak somewhere. I'd almost suggest thowing the whole deal in the tub and look for the bubbles. Failing that, soapy water dribbled all over should find it.

Most likely its the gasket between the tank and regulator. Turn on the tank. Then turn OFF the regulator to full off. Shut off the tank and leave overnight. If the gas pressure gauge drops overnight you'll have found your leak.

-
S

NOTE!!! If you have a solenoid valve for the love of Pete do not toss it in the tub and make damned sure you unplug it if you decide to!

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
I would replace the solenoid as I would not know how to fix it, but hopefully someone else does have the expertise to advise you.......

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
A leaky solenoid can be easy to fix. Take it apart, clean everything, especially the diaphragm, and put it back together. I find crud in the diaphragm to be a common issue with solenoids. Otherwise, it may be a spring or some such other piece. Solenoids are pretty simple on the inside; nothing to be intimidated by.

This little video is a nice intro for the less mechanically inclined:
YouTube - Solenoid Valve How It Works

-Philosophos

Orlando

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2007
Solenoids are easy fixes...Many times errors occur in improper handling of the solenoid that can cause damage.

Im curious Philosophos, which solenoid do you use that utilizes a diaphragm for your co2?

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
One from Azoo. Only ever had to clean it the one time. It also has a nifty little piece where if you forget a small part of the housing, you get shocked to high crap while testing it. It's reliable, but I will be considering other brands in the future.

-Philosophos

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
i have the clippard from rex grigg. Its leaking out of the shaft that houses the plunger thing, its got a really lame plastic seal. I think im going to shove a bunch of silicon around it and put it back together.

SO i caked on 100% silicon on the seal, shaft, and around the edges. Im going to let it dry and let you guys know how it goes.