This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Problem on the leaves

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by dannyfish, Dec 9, 2010.

1. dannyfish

dannyfish Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    2:52 PM
  2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Plant Friendly Carbon... Maybe...

Hi,

That does not appear to be potassium deficiency.

Appears more structural, best guess carbon as in CO2... :gw

Biollante

3. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Those transparent portions look like when c02 is off...but that is just a guess right now.

I have had wisteria many times and many hygros react this way to co2 instability at least in my experience.

Can you provide more details on your tank, dosing regimen, lighting, etc?

It is hard to say what the problem may be with so little to go on :)

4. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    ~

CO2 instability!

5. dannyfish

Local Time:
    15 gallon tank
    Light are t5 x 24w (4pcs) 4-6 hours
    Dosing every odd day N and K and even day is micro Dosing ( flourish)
    As for P, I feed the Fish more than usual in order to have the P

Co2- using 4.x 1.5L bottle to diy co2 and using power head to spread the co2

Keep the plant for around 2 months and was growing well till lately the leave start to have holes

Well good new is I get myself a pressurized co2 system about a week ago

Let c any improvement

6. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Do you have 4 24w t5 bulbs on a 15 gal tank?

If that is accurate I would say that you are driving the plants to require high c02 which is simply not provided.

I would also say you have nutrient deficiencies, but c02 is the big one here. Law of mins and all that...

Let's talk about your light for a bit. Could you please provide more details and a model #? A link to the product from any web retailer perhaps?

Light is what drives c02 and nutrient demand. Even if only for 4 hours duration, the plants would still be 'driven' by the light to grow. To fuel this growth they need c02 and macros/micros. If not supplied in stable and sufficient amounts, poor growth somewhere will result.

It takes time for plants to deteriorate and wisteria is very hardy. So not surprised all was 'fine' for 2 months.

7. dannyfish

Local Time:
    hi Gerryd

yes, your are right. 4 X 24w t5 bulbs on a 15 gal tank
    If i didnt remember wrongly, the brand are called AQUA ZONIC

I remember that everything was seem fine and leaves are green and plant are branching out ...till.......i turned on all the light tube. Before that i turned on two tube only.

As for my dosing, i using dry fertilizer of K2SO4 & CANO3 and pour 250ml of water into each bottle and pour 20ml & 10ml respectively every mon wed fri.

Other plants like Java fern are growing quite well but hairgrass don't seem to be growing, either pale looking or brown.

My temp is 28-29

I want to ask you, can fish food replace the "P"

17122010 Latest update, is i can see new leaves are growing for wisteria...(After using pressurized co2 system & 4 tube turn on & dosing remain the same)

8. scottward

Local Time:
    Bingo!

If everything was fine why did you turn on extra light????????

As soon as you added the extra light, just as Gerryd is pointing out above, you are trying to drive the plants harder - which means they need more CO2!

And there isn't enough with the higher lighting level...

So the plants develop holes....

Algae....

Stems rotting.....

I would revert back to 2 tubes and get things back to how they were.

If you do want to have all 4 tubes on to drive things faster (i.e. grow the plants faster), then you are going to need to whack in a lot more CO2, possibly additional nutrients*, to keep up.

Can you just go back to 2 tubes? Why the switch to 4?

* - if you are dosing full EI you won't need to adjust the nutrient dosing whatsoever; EI is designed to work at any lighting level. However, if dosing a leaner version of EI, you may need to increase dosing. If you do want to up the lighting, does full EI until things are looking good and then fine tune it later (not that there should be any need to fine tune it really; it's inexpensive and easy).

#8 scottward, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
  9. dannyfish

Local Time:
    hi scottward

i turn on 4 is because since 2 is doing fine so i want it to be even more bushy so i turned on 4 haha

look like i have to use two tube instead of 4 tube...

But 1 ques, since now i have pressurized co2, can i increase my co2 output and fertilizer dosing in order to get greener and bushy growth?

10. scottward

Local Time:
    Ah ok, fair enough! ;-)

You don't need lots of light to get greener, bushier growth. Adding extra light just speeds things up essentially, ideal if you want to 'farm' out the plants where your goal is to maximise plant volume...

Yup - with optimal (i.e. non-limiting) levels of nutrients and CO2 you will get beautiful lush growth.

I would do this:
    - Set your lights back to 2 tubes. 8 hour photo period will be fine. Set it and forget. DO NOT fiddle with the lighting duration or intensity any more!
    - Dose FULL EI. It's cheap and it's easy. Don't forget the water changes! Get in a routine and stick to it.
    - Get your CO2 cranking. Ensure some, non-breaking, surface movement to ensure good O2 levels. Good general water circulation. Watch the plants and the fish. Adjust slowly and carefully. Be patient.

With gradual changes to the *single variable* CO2, and patience, you will get the look you are after.

Scott.

11. dannyfish

Local Time:
    ok scott

Will follow your step & monitor :p

Thank u