This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Pressurized CO2 and Sump planning.

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by D-Linquent, Jul 10, 2013.

1. D-Linquent

D-Linquent New Member

Local Time:
    3:31 PM
    I'm in the planning stage of converting to a sump with a wet/dry intake. I use pressurized co2, and I have read some older posts regarding how to inject the co2.

Currently, I have a maxi-jet 400 in my tank, and feed the co2 into the intake of the 400. Originally, I was just planning on feeding the co2 into the the intake of the return pump when I switched to the sump.

I guess my first question is whether it is better for the plants to have a fine mist of co2 in the tank, or is it just as good to have the co2 substantially dissolved before returning the water the tank? I'm used to having the mist in the tank, but if the mist isn't necessary/best for the plants, I would like to eliminate it because I enjoy the tank more without the mist.

Secondly, is it the collective wisdom that the best practice is to have 2 pumps in the return section: one pump with a needle wheel impeller to chop the co2 with the return of that pump pointing at the intake of the second pump, which returns water to the display tank? If the mist isn't important, I might use a reactor to dissolve most of the co2 before returning to the tank.

Finally, regarding sealing the sump to lessen degassing, do I only need to seal the intake, wet/dry portion of the filter, or should I try to seal the entire tank that I'm using as a sump? Also, I'm looking at a cpr overflow box, should I seal that as well?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

-Don

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Mist has an annoying aspect visually, it suspends floc, so it reduces clarity on larger tanks.
    But the plants like it.

I use a smaller pump to add mist to a reactor on it's own loop or in line with the return pump as the misting pump and then a post reactor to catch the mist.
    You seal the dry portion where the water comes in and then try and minimize the splashing inside the prefilter, add an extra pipe down to the sump etc.

I drilled another bulkhead and pipe in my CPR overflows, made the stand pipe a hair higher than the other, this drives one at full blast and trickle in the other.

3. D-Linquent

D-Linquent New Member

Local Time:
    Thank you for the reply.

I was looking at the CPR CS 50. Is there room to drill for a standpipe in one of those, or would I have to drill a hole in the back or side of it and and add a second pipe there? I see the that the box is 6 inches wide, but the existing bulkhead looks like it is right in the middle, and I'm just gun/drill shy I guess since I won't be able to see one in person before I order it.

Thanks again.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Yes, you can do them on the side/back or bottom, just make sure there's enough clearance, you can also add a 1/2" bulk head instead of the 3/4", you just need to throttle the majority down one standpipe and then a trickle down the other.

5. D-Linquent

D-Linquent New Member

Local Time:
    Beautiful. Thank you!

6. gsjmia

gsjmia Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The black ABS bulkheads are substantially smaller than the Schedule 80 bulkheads if you are pressed for space.