This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Pressure, Physics, and CO2

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by Tom Wood, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Tom Wood

Tom Wood Guru Class Expert

I've been mulling a CO2 delivery method that *doesn't* involve bubbles in the tankwater, for purely aesthetic reasons, and would like to ask a couple of questions before I proceed. It seems to me that if there were a way to temporarily pressurize the CO2 and water together, then the CO2 would enter into solution, much like a coke. (Yes, it will come out of solution after the pressure is off, but maybe it will last long enough.)

So, I've come up with adding a tee fitting in a horizontal portion of the 1/2" PVC return line of my external Little Giant pump, with the tee pointed straight up and connected to a length of 1/2" PVC vertical pipe. At the top of that vertical pipe would be the CO2 input connection.

Then the CO2 would be introduced at a rate that pushes the water down, resisting the water pressure from the pump but not so much that the CO2 enters the water flow directly, and hopefully pressurizing that vetical length of pipe to the point that the CO2 would enter the water in solution. I might use a piece of clear PVC for that vertical pipe so I can see the height of the water column inside.

Does this have any possibility of working? And, is there a way to calculate how long that vertical pipe should be in order to build up enough pressure? I can do two feet easily and keep it concealed, more would be harder but worth doing if the concept might work.

Thanks,

TW

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: Pressure, Physics, and CO2

One idear I've been thinking about, but cost a fair amount is using a sealed clear container, and add a ultrasonic mist fogger, and run water/CO2 through this.

CO2 is pretty compressible vs other gases.
    I do not think you'll get much out of the pressure idea though.

Just make the loop longer, etc and it should do fine.

Regards,
    Tom Barr