Preferred Supplemental Diet for algae eaters ???

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
What does everyone recommend as a Supplemental diet for their algae eaters ? These poor devils are going to starve to death if I don't resort to heroic measures.

Can I simply increase the light cycle or phosphates temporarily ? I gotta do something... Anyone ?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
What species?

Spinach
Dehulled peas
Most gords, pumpkin etc

You can also grow specific species fo algae in tanks with plants, namely Pithophora, which is actually a nice looking algae that is considered desirable by many.

Few know how to grow it but I do.
I use to feed it to my Sturisoma and Labiobarbus festiva.

They loved it.

I grew it on rocks that had very high aeration and surface moeve runnign across them, basically right under the surface, maybe 1/4" depth at most, lots of current, light etc.

I also use this species in a algae turf scrubber.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
What Species ?

??? All of them...SAE's, Otocinclus, Neocaridina, Farlowella etc...

Should'a never got that Farlow ! Gluttonous Swine !!! :eek:

Seriously I'd like to keep them healthy and robust, and don't want them eating Junk Food (Absolutely No Anacharis) I may need them some day. ;)

Should I just pick up some Nori at the health food Store ?

nursie

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
Peoria, IL USA
The term algae eater covers a lot of territory. If you are talking about plecos in addition, they need to have driftwood, they need it in their diet too.
Mine are particular to zucchini, and I have otos that will eat algae wafers.

dschmeh

Prolific Poster
i feed hikara algae wafers they are cheap and all my fish and shrimp eat them . or you can give vegtables like peas or squash my pleco likes zucini i put a slice in the microwave for about 20 seconds to soften it up . I dont feed my tank very often . I always see the fish picking at something also if you feed to much your algae eaters will get lazy and not eat algae.

Patrice

Guru Class Expert
Jan 6, 2006
Tom Barr;11230 said:
You can also grow specific species fo algae in tanks with plants, namely Pithophora, which is actually a nice looking algae that is considered desirable by many.

Few know how to grow it but I do.

can you tell us more about this?