This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Preferred Supplemental Diet for algae eaters ???

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by Professor Myers, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Professor Myers

Professor Myers Guru Class Expert

What does everyone recommend as a Supplemental diet for their algae eaters ? These poor devils are going to starve to death if I don't resort to heroic measures.

Can I simply increase the light cycle or phosphates temporarily ? I gotta do something... Anyone ?

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

What species?

Spinach
    Dehulled peas
    Most gords, pumpkin etc

You can also grow specific species fo algae in tanks with plants, namely Pithophora, which is actually a nice looking algae that is considered desirable by many.

Few know how to grow it but I do.
    I use to feed it to my Sturisoma and Labiobarbus festiva.

They loved it.

I grew it on rocks that had very high aeration and surface moeve runnign across them, basically right under the surface, maybe 1/4" depth at most, lots of current, light etc.

I also use this species in a algae turf scrubber.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Professor Myers

Professor Myers Guru Class Expert

What Species ?

??? All of them...SAE's, Otocinclus, Neocaridina, Farlowella etc...

Should'a never got that Farlow ! Gluttonous Swine !!! :eek:

Seriously I'd like to keep them healthy and robust, and don't want them eating Junk Food (Absolutely No Anacharis) I may need them some day. ;)

Should I just pick up some Nori at the health food Store ?

4. turbomkt

turbomkt Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

squash, zucchini, about any food meant for snails!

5. nursie

nursie Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

The term algae eater covers a lot of territory. If you are talking about plecos in addition, they need to have driftwood, they need it in their diet too.
    Mine are particular to zucchini, and I have otos that will eat algae wafers.

6. dschmeh

dschmeh Prolific Poster

i feed hikara algae wafers they are cheap and all my fish and shrimp eat them . or you can give vegtables like peas or squash my pleco likes zucini i put a slice in the microwave for about 20 seconds to soften it up . I dont feed my tank very often . I always see the fish picking at something also if you feed to much your algae eaters will get lazy and not eat algae.

7. Patrice

Patrice Guru Class Expert

can you tell us more about this?