This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Powering my aquamedic 1000, is a Fluval 405 good?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by sayhy2mark33, Nov 18, 2007.

1. sayhy2mark33

sayhy2mark33 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:13 AM
    Hey everyone, I am asking this question because I've heard twice now that people have replaced their problematic Fluval 405's with Eheims. I have a Fluval 305 that leaks tiny drops around the side clips and I'm thinking about replacing it. I bought it about 5 years ago so it's served me very well.

Are 405's a problem for some reason? I am pushing in-line through a 25w Current Gamma US Sterilizer and an Aquamedic 1000 reactor. I figured the extra gph that the 405 could provide over a 305 would serve better for C02 dissolution, given these two in-line obstacles that are probably hindering my gph. Please let me know if anyone knows common problems of a 405 over the smaller 305 and if you feel this would be a cost-effective investment for a better working AM1000 and C)2 deliverance to the aquarium, because I'm lost as to how much better the AM1000 would actually work.

For those wondering, the seal was replaced on the 305 and I put vaseline around it, it leaks VERY little so I just put a tupperware underneath it to act as a small tub. I guess the cartirdge itself got warped somewhere. It's been doing this off and on for the past 6 months.

2. ceg4048

ceg4048 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,
    It's not clear whether you are asking about the overall reliability of the 405 or the capability of the 405 to drive that CO2 reactor. The flow rate of the 405, although optimistically listed, will drive the AM1000 without difficulty. That is a different issue from leaks, workmanship and so forth. The two issues are unrelated. Generally, more gph is better so get the highest pumping capacity you can.

Cheers,

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I'm not keen on fluvals.
    I like the Via Aqua, Rena/filstar and Ehiem.

Or go to Ocean Clear 25-40 sqft canister and dedicated pump for larger systems.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. sayhy2mark33

Local Time:
    Hi there, sorry about that, I wrote it late. I was asking about both the reliability of the 405's specifically because they're the only ones I've heard negative things about, and I was wondering what these negatives are. I was also kind of asking about whether the extra gph would be worth it in relation to any extra risks from the 405 vs the 305. I think you answered everything at once though. :) Thanks.

Thanks Tom, I'll give these filters a look and hopefully they're in my price range. My only issue was I just set up all this plumbing with the fluval hoses. I'd hate to have to redo any of it. I want to leave this thing alone after the mess I made the past few days. :)

Mark

5. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I always found Fluval filters to be a royal pain to prime, but once I could get that done they worked fine. Now that I have a Rena Filstar I think the Fluval loses flow rate from dirty filter media more than the Filstar too. I am extremely pleased with the Filstar XP3.

6. sayhy2mark33

Local Time:
    Oh I can definitely relate to the priming issue. For for as infrequent as I have to truly re-prime the system (empty hoses), it's a minor issue to me. When people spoke of problems I was worried mostly about leaks, locked impellers, etc. Crisis problems.

7. sayhy2mark33

Local Time:
    Okay last inquiry. I am using a 55 gallon tank, water is being dispersed through just one outlet nozzle. Is the 405 going to be TOO much flow for my application?

Also, should I use a spray bar underneath the water to deliver the C02 lower and more widespread? I've thought about the CustomFlo kit as well, but I use an intake skimmer on the intake end anyway as it is to prevent surface film, so half that kit would be wasted.

8. ceg4048

ceg4048 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,
    As you plants grow in and their biomass starts to clog the flow paths you'll see that it hard to have too much flow. Spray bars are not elegant looking but I feel they do a better job of distributing the outlet flow over a wider area.

A tip about surface film; It's generally caused by lack of nutrients. You shouldn't need a skimmer unless you are trying to block large pieces of debris. The milky white or brown surface scum is telling you that the plants are stressed and that you need to dose more and/or to add more CO2...

Cheers,

9. sayhy2mark33

Local Time:
    Wow, I had no idea what that surface film was from. It makes perfect sense though, so I will react accoringly (the AM1000 with Milwaukee CO2/ph controller was a step in this direction). You have a good point about the flow rate. Sounds like I'm going to jack it up then with a larger filter, because when the lights go out, I still have about 3/4-1 inches of CO2 built up in my AM1000 that hasn't been dissolved.