potassium sulfate ?

tacks

Junior Poster
Jan 12, 2006
:) I am wondering I have a 90 gallon heavly planted tank. I only add potassium nitrate, phosphates when needed and tmg, injected c02 30-40 ppm. I have no algae except for a little spot algae. My question is should I be adding potassium sulfate and if so what does it do and how much? thanks for your help ed I am a firm beliver in plant tabs put into the soil near the roots. I have great growth and I think it may help me in keeping down myalgae and I do alot of watewr changes thanks again Ed

colonel

Guru Class Expert
Nov 25, 2005
Re: potassium sulfate ?

Potassium sulfate (K2SO4) Is just a source for potassium (K). Since you are doseing Potassium nitrate (KNO3) you are already getting a source of K in your tank, depending on how much KNO3 you are adding you may or may not already have enough K. But my guess is since this tank is CO2 injected you are probably adding a fair amount and are getting enough K from your KNO3.

Also Just thought I would toss this in, spot algae, if its green spot algae mostly on the glass is usually a sign of either low CO2 levels, or low phosphate levels. You may want to make sure you have as much CO2 as you think in the water, and consider adding just a little more phosphate, say another 1-2 ppm per week.

As noted about though be careful if your phoshate is low and you add more, make sure you have enough nitrate in the water colum because relieving P stress will drive uptake of nitrate, and you dont want to bottom out your nitrates, it may cause plant stunting, and algae growth that may fool you into thinking that it was caused by the addition of the phosphate.

Good luck!
~Matt

quenton

Guru Class Expert
Mar 14, 2006
Toronto Ontario (Canada?)

I find that in a 65g tank (55g real) -- I am adding

1/2 tsp KNO3
1/8 tsp K2SO4

The KNO3 provides for the Nitrate (20ppm)
and also provides 20pm of K -- but I wanted 30, thus
the 1/8 tsp K2SO4.

I also add 3/16 tsp KH2PO4 for phosphate, and that adds about 4ppm of K,
the final result appears to be about 33ppm of K -- which is in the range
I want.

tacks

Junior Poster
Jan 12, 2006

Thank you for your replies you have both answered my questions Ed