This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

potassium sulfate ?

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by tacks, May 21, 2006.

1. tacks

tacks Junior Poster

:) I am wondering I have a 90 gallon heavly planted tank. I only add potassium nitrate, phosphates when needed and tmg, injected c02 30-40 ppm. I have no algae except for a little spot algae. My question is should I be adding potassium sulfate and if so what does it do and how much? thanks for your help ed I am a firm beliver in plant tabs put into the soil near the roots. I have great growth and I think it may help me in keeping down myalgae and I do alot of watewr changes thanks again Ed

2. colonel

colonel Guru Class Expert

Re: potassium sulfate ?

Potassium sulfate (K2SO4) Is just a source for potassium (K). Since you are doseing Potassium nitrate (KNO3) you are already getting a source of K in your tank, depending on how much KNO3 you are adding you may or may not already have enough K. But my guess is since this tank is CO2 injected you are probably adding a fair amount and are getting enough K from your KNO3.

Also Just thought I would toss this in, spot algae, if its green spot algae mostly on the glass is usually a sign of either low CO2 levels, or low phosphate levels. You may want to make sure you have as much CO2 as you think in the water, and consider adding just a little more phosphate, say another 1-2 ppm per week.

As noted about though be careful if your phoshate is low and you add more, make sure you have enough nitrate in the water colum because relieving P stress will drive uptake of nitrate, and you dont want to bottom out your nitrates, it may cause plant stunting, and algae growth that may fool you into thinking that it was caused by the addition of the phosphate.

Good luck!
    ~Matt

3. quenton

quenton Guru Class Expert

I find that in a 65g tank (55g real) -- I am adding

1/2 tsp KNO3
    1/8 tsp K2SO4

The KNO3 provides for the Nitrate (20ppm)
    and also provides 20pm of K -- but I wanted 30, thus
    the 1/8 tsp K2SO4.

I also add 3/16 tsp KH2PO4 for phosphate, and that adds about 4ppm of K,
    the final result appears to be about 33ppm of K -- which is in the range
    I want.

4. tacks

tacks Junior Poster

Thank you for your replies you have both answered my questions Ed