This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Potamogeton gayi

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by fjf888, Feb 15, 2008.

1. fjf888

fjf888 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    2:46 PM
    I just purchase a few new plants that I have identified at Potomogeton gayi. I was not able to find much information on this plant. Does anyone here have any experience with this aquatic plant. My initial research indicates it needs moderate light and is not too terribly demanding.

Thanks

Fred

2. Mooner

Mooner Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  3. captain_bu

captain_bu Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I have been growing this plant for about 3 months now. 50 gallon tank with 2.6 wpg, EI and Excel dosing, pH 7.2, temp 74 degrees. It is doing well for me though I had to replant it once after my Ancistrus uprooted it. I read somewhere that it takes a long time to establish itself so it is best to make sure you plant it somewhere in the tank where you will not be tempted to move it. One thing I do not like about it is that I frequently find pieces of it that have broken off floating around the tank. Mine has a lot more brownish-red leaves mixed in with the green than the pictures in the link above.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    It gets pretty weedy, most pondweeds do.

It's a very fast grower, stop using Excel and bump up the CO2 and see.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. captain_bu

captain_bu Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I put it in my tank at a point I wanted plants that grew fast. I do plan on ditching the Excel for pressurized CO2 in the near future at which point it may have outlived its usefulness.