Possible to slow growth rate?

jfritz42

Junior Poster
Oct 1, 2010
A few months ago I switched from using Excel to a CO2 injected system. I use the Estimative Index for dosing. CO2 is about 30ppm and I have 110W of T5HO lighting on a 55 gal.

I've had incredible results... too incredible :) My vals grow 6-10 inches in a week. My "dwarf" saggitaria that was 2" tall is now 7" tall in many places (and these are planted in the foreground).

Is it possible to reduce the growth rate? Can I drop the CO2 injection and dosing, e.g. by cutting in half? Or will that induce algae problems (right now algae is fairly minimal).

Thank you,
Jason

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You could go back to Excel........or reduce the lights, maybe a single T5.......or you could do a noon time burst, eg........use the full power only for say 1-2 hours, then back to 55W. if you can.....some lights can/some cannot.
The other way.........is the run one side for 6 hours, then the other for 6 hours with a 2-3 hour over lap. Another idea is to switch to plants that require less pruning and grow slower and more manageable.

So there's 3-4 ways to address it as well as less light.

jfritz42

Junior Poster
Oct 1, 2010
Awesome, thank you for the replies!

Unfortunately my Hagen ballast will only drive two T5HO bulbs or none at all. Maybe I'll just reduce the hours. It's running for 12 hours right now. It's near a window, so I could use natural light only for part of the day.

Would you please recommend a resource for choosing plants "that require less pruning and grow slower and more manageable"? I'd especially like a short, attractive foreground plant (2" max).

Thanks!!

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Floating plants and some sort of screening material on the bottom of the light fixture or over the tank covers are other some options to reduce the light in the tank if you aren't able to physically raise the light fixture off the tank a bit.

-
S