Possible new tank for me.

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Shipley, West Yorkshire, UK
I want to get a larger tank, the problem is I have very few options as to where one will fit in my lounge.

After many sortees with the tape measure the biggest I can fit in is a Juwel Tigon 350. Silly money but it's the last tank I will buy.

I will need to upgrade the lighting seriously to grow the plants as in my current 75 litre. Is it possible to ramp the lighting on this style of tank to 4w per gallon? I prefer external filters to the supplied internal one........can this be removed?

I intend to use Ecco Complete for the substrate, how much will I need to give up to 3" depth? The Tigon's a funny shape, I suppose I could work on just over half a square of 87cm sides.

My 75l, if all goes to plan, will be turned into a Walstad style and hopefully breed Red Shrimp.

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Ian

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Re: Possible new tank for me.

Ian,
What are the dimensions of this 92+ US gallon tank? One of the forums has
a calculator for ? inches of substrate based on sq inches of tank bottom.

Bill

Paul

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Droitwich, UK

Get the basic dimensions of it and let me know, I use autocad at work, so could just draw it up and tell you the volume

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Thanks guys. The Trigon 350 is a bow fronted corner tank with dimensions of 123cm long x 65cm height x 87cm wide ( 49.2" x 26" x 34.8").

I assume the length is calculated around the curve of the bow front and the height includes the hood. I've also assumed that the width is the length of the sides, i.e. the pieces that are at 90 degrees to each other. Without getting my sledgehammer out I have a maximum of 36" to work in along one wall, so it is important that I verify the straight edge dimensions. I don't know how much the bow bows either. Autocad looks good to work this out Paul. BTW I'm in awe of people able to work with this proggy.

Ian

Paul

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Droitwich, UK

Bearing in mind I have been known to be wrong before ;) , the surface area of that tank would be 0.594467sqm
If you are in awe of people who use AutoCAD, why isnt my boss and why cannt I get a payrise out of him?? :confused:
Having done this, I have realised all you need to do is find the area of a circle Rad 870 and divide it by 4 :rolleyes:

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Paul said:
If you are in awe of people who use AutoCAD, why isnt my boss and why cannt I get a payrise out of him?? :confused:

Maybe he isn't in awe of you Paul. :) If it's any consolation I've only had 1 rise in the last 5 years. :(

Having done this, I have realised all you need to do is find the area of a circle Rad 870 and divide it by 4 :rolleyes:

Nice bit of lateral thinking. Not accurate as the curve is less on the tank than a 1/4 circle. I did the math and I think I need about 45 litres of Ecco. How many litres in a 8.5kg bag of Ecco then?

Ian

Paul

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Droitwich, UK

Dunno, do what I would do, get the wifes measuring jug out when shes not looking ;)

Laith

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Geneva, Switzerland

Ian, I don't think you've *quite* understood how this works :p !

When you are thinking about getting a new tank, imagine the ideal tank you'd like to have in terms of dimensions and budget.

Then you fit it in however you can... tear down walls, extend rooms, remove furniture, etc. :D

THAT'S how it's done! :rolleyes:

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Thanks Laith, I did start thinking along those lines initially but her who must be obeyed objected. Selfish B**** wouldn't give up her favourite chair for the 72"x24"x24" tank I wanted.

As it is the Tigon will require me reconfiguring the fireplace extension and I still have to get outline planning permission from her then get her to agree the budget. I have some skill in negotiation thankfully. :)

Ian

MartinG

Junior Poster
Jan 24, 2005
Halesowen, England

Ian,
Last year I bought a Trigon 190 having to settle for the corner unit as 'er indoors couldn't be convinced to have a conventional rectangular aquarium elsewhere. I didn't realise until it was full etc of the distortion through a bow front. Check to make sure you will be happy. Also the light units are fixed and are just above the water surface. Retrograde lighting, if possible, will be VERY expensive. The 360 will have the jumbo filter. Jumbo being the operative word. I found the impellor rate much too high as anything in its path was blown aside as if in a gale. Not good for a planted aquarium. You can buy replacement impellors to reduce the flow. Other than that access is good but I did not buy the stand. Half a ton on a few bits of chipboard isn't my idea of stability. Best buys on Juwel see
http://www.royaldiscus.co.uk/index.html
They also arrange delivery.
Martin

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Thanks bill. Because the tank is a corner unit I had to guestimate it but I think that 6 bags will do it.......................That's another £140 to spend. I could get away with 4 bags of Flourite but you have to rinse that.

However on the basis of the calculator you would (wrongly?) assume that Flourite is lighter in weight than Eco. :confused:

Ian

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Ian, no, don't think so. This is a volume measurement, not a weight one with
the substrate calculator. Someone took the time to measure the volume of
each substrate product, since weight (shipping purposes) is all that is on the
bag. I'm told per same amount of each, that flourite is heavier than EC.

Handy little tool, :D
Bill

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Yes Bill I know it's a volume thing but in the UK Flourite is sold in 7kg bags and Eco in 8.5 kg. I know that the Eco contains water, but the formula still says that I only need 2/3 the amount of bags of flourite against Eco. :confused:

Is the bag size the same in the States? As this would affect the calculation.

Ian

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

The weight is the the same as it is in the UK. There must be more water than
I thought in the EC, which would create this disparity in amount needed. The
Flourite is dry weight, and it would be interesting to decant off the water of
EC, then empty both it and a bag of Flourite side by side to see which one is
more by volume. Betcha Flourite wins, hands down. Too bad it doesn't have
the color of EC :( I have a little bit of heartburn having something in water
shipped to me vs dry weight. I purely surely do...thinkin' I'd rather go with