Poor man's Aqua soil

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Well, today I found something almost identical to ADA's Aqua soil, same color, size, texture, material, but.............20$ a bag(50lbs).

This product should last for many years as the intended use is quite different than for aquariums.

The powersand like material I am still testing is doing well.
But now I can offer both the powersand like material and the Soil like material to Barr Report subscribers.

Heck, for the price of one bag of ADA soil alone, one bag will save you far more than a the subscription cost(soil runs about 28$ for 9 liters).

This is roughly 55 liters for 20$.
Price difference alone is per liter: 0.36$ vs 3.11$, basically paying 10X the cost.

Hey, it's your money.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Poor man's Aqua soil

It will run about 150$ for a 40-50gal tank for the ADA soil-sand mix(ADG's example).
The Barr version runs, 27 liters for the soil: (10$) 6 liters for the powersand(2-3$).

Humm........

Regards,
Tom Barr

turbomkt

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
San Diego, Ca

Well? When do we get to hear more? I've got a 10g I want to redo but have been waiting for substrate :)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

I will sell no substrate before it is time. :gw
I'm in no rush to sell this without a good fair analysis.
I'm not done yet and want to make sure if meets my personal criteria and that of the "ADA like" ability.

I will say this, I know I am close to hitting the material for the ADA soil, the Power Sand like material will be even better I'm hoping(it's not the same material but appears to be even better).

I know substrates pretty good and have considered looking into doing this for a number of years. Given all my Agricultural contacts and meetings I attend for academics and for trade, CA State work related functions, I see many items.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Simpte

Prolific Poster
Feb 17, 2005

Is it October yet? :)

Cant wait to hear your results, Tom.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator