This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Poor difuser performace

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by ccLansman, Jan 21, 2009.

1. ccLansman

ccLansman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    4:40 AM
    So i picked up a glass diffuser and installed it last night. I placed it under a power head so the small bubbles would get blown around the tank. I simply unhooked it from my inline reactor, did not change any settings on the bps and let it run today. When i arrived home from work i noticed no pearling on the side of my tank and only minor in the front. With the inline i had good pearling over the entire tank when i arrived home. For the sake of science i want to give it another day but i have to ask, where do you guys position your diffusers and are you getting good results?

2. ntino

ntino Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    how big is your tank?
    inline reactors are usually better than glass diffusers

3. SuperColey1

SuperColey1 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I personally prefer diffusers to reactors but as implied on the previous post larger tanks are more suited to reactors.

I can only assume that somewhere in the flow you are losing a lot of your microbubbles to the surface.

What I do is rather than put the diffuser under the powerhead and then the powerhead push the bubbles at high speed I put the powerhead the opposite side of the tank pointing its flow at the point where the bubble rise.

My theory (very unscientific) is if you kick a light football/soccer ball (remember the bubbles wasnt to rise anyway and you are trying to keep them in the water for as long as possible) It will hit the air barrier (even if there is no wind) and it will rise.

If you put the powerhead with the diffuser above it low in the tank then you will see the bubbles blast along and hit the water 'barrier' and climb very steeply when slowed enough.

If you put the powerhead high in the water level and aiming above the diffuser on the opposite side the water hits the far glass and is deflected by the far glass in all directions down and to the right mainly but you will then see some of the bubbles that come out of the side nearest the powerhead rise and then get pushed down again etc.

I have mine like this:
    [​IMG]
    This diagram shows from the above the powerhead in the left rear corner pushing straight towards the diffuser which is 2 thirds up the water column on the right rear. It shows where my bubbles go (before some hit the surface) some do go further along and round the other areas. The Lily and inlet are front right so theflow is a complete circuit in mine rather than have different flows conflicting with each other which some use with great success.

[​IMG]
    This one show where the powerhead water goes from the side.

Remember this is 17.6x tank volume turnover lph (on paper) so different methods are used by people with differing amounts of flow. You have to experiment with different methods/positioning.

This is a frontal shot so you can see the items in reality:
    [​IMG]

And I get too much pearling!!!:
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps
    AC

4. ccLansman

Local Time:
    I moved the difuser and it seems to be mixing better.
    60 gals,

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Yep, just play around with the diffuser placement and flow, you should get good results with some fiddling.

Regards. ,
    Tom Barr

6. ccLansman

Local Time:
    thanks Tom, i ended up removing a GIANT colony of anubis plants that i had, didnt know there were so many. When i pulled it out there were 16 large plants. Then i moved my koralia closers to my powerhead and placed the difuser just to the left of the koralia. As the bubbles are going north they get swept towards the koralia and ide say 70/30 get mixed into the koralia then powerhead. So after a few mins the entire tank was swimming in bubbles :)

7. ccLansman

Local Time:
    just a quick update, im chucking the glass difuser, after 4 days of testing and having to increase the bubble count double my inline. Not seing any pearling all day, i am going to stick with the inline, + i did not see any benefit to the bubbles striking the plants vs the good ole enriched water.

8. rich815

rich815 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Which diffuser is it? Wanna sell it to me? :D