This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Po4

Discussion in 'Marine Plants - Macroalgae' started by PatrikS, Jan 24, 2007.

1. PatrikS

PatrikS Prolific Poster

Hi,

My Caulerpas (featherlike types) don't feel so well after I tried dosing just a little KH2PO4. I tried it two times, and it seems that otherwise healthy leaves just break loose and floats away. Some red algae gets some kind of green necrosis in the middle and melt from there. Weird.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Are you dosing KNO3 as well and traces?

KH? Ca?

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. PatrikS

PatrikS Prolific Poster

Yes, both KNO3 (less then 1/16th of tsp), traces 1 ml (like TMG), KH and CaCl2 2-3 ml each. This pulse about 2-3 times a week. The aquarium is about 35 L.

4. reiverix

reiverix Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

I've not dosed PO4 for a week now with no ill effects on any of the plants. I've increased KNO3 a little. My caulerpa prolifera gets transparent tips if I don't keep up. I may actually be dosing less traces than you even though my tank is bigger, at 75g, with a fairly large plant mass. What I'm using is the Kent macro trace mix which is like water compared to TMG.

At the moment, unless I can nail down a definite PO4 defficiency, I'm not going to bother with it for now. PO4 is an enigma for me. It's needed, but not too much not too little.

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

I'd be careful dosing it and only when you rule out other issues or have intense peroids of growth, would I suggets dosing it.

You do not need much to remove the PO4 issue either.
    Diatoms are the main issues with addign too much. I never found it did anything bad to Caulerpa though.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

6. PatrikS

PatrikS Prolific Poster

Mmm, but what else can I blame Caulerpas bad health on then? It's just so strange: when I dont add anything (no KNO3, PO4 and so on) Caulerpa slowly grows - pretty pale in color, but growing. When I add all of the above things, Caulerpa gets deep green, really nice looking, but starts loosing its leaves at the root. Really weird. Wasn't it the kind of thing you Tom observed here:

From: Reef Central Online Community - Adding more nutrients to a nutrient lacking system?

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Sounds like maybe something else is going on in your tank.
    Nutrietn alone are not accounting for it.

Some new growth white tips can be normal, but it seems more like lack of Ca or something, rather than PO4 etc.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

8. PatrikS

PatrikS Prolific Poster

Allright, I'll try to change some water, maybe it helps. I don't really know if it's Ca, 'cause Halimeda still shooting new leaves now and then.

9. PatrikS

PatrikS Prolific Poster

Thanks Reiverix, for input. Have you observed some deficiancies for KNO3 and therefore increased? What's your fullpulse now?

Any special reason for using Kent's trace mix if it's so diluted? Maybe I overdose with TMG then..

Or maybe it's the lack of CO2 in my case? And it appeared after I adressed the macronutrients? Maybe I should install more powerheads - as it is now i have about 20 times the entire volyme turnover per hour - could it be inadequate for supplying all the CO2 to the algaes? I know it could be a long shot, but who knows..

10. reiverix

reiverix Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

I can't say for certain that I observed a KNO3 deficiency. It may be that N and traces go hand in hand. So far it's working and I'm kind of relieved to get PO4 out of the picture for now.

The only reason I went for the Kent trace mix is because I'm the newbie here :) I would rather dose light and observe after 24 hours. Increase or decrease as needed.

KNO3 is at 2ppm every two days. I'm slowly reaching a target of around 5pmm with a max of 10ppm. I've not tested for more than a few days so I'll have to do that tonight and see how much my uptake is changing. The caulerpa can get quite weedy.

11. PatrikS

PatrikS Prolific Poster

Thanks Reiverix!

I did a big waterchange yesterday to flush everything out, and today I dosed just 1/16 KNO3 and 0,3 ml TMG.

No KH2PO4.

No KH or Ca-additions either, because our tapwater is very hard, 16 dH, with a lot of Ca. Hehe, I still see - after 24 hours - a lot of small particles of Calcium from the saltmix on the rocks and sand - who knew our water was so hard that it's hard for Ca in saltmix to mix with our water. :)