Plug/Receptacle Connector for CF

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Would like to use a plug/receptacle connector for my light to ballast connections for my CFs. Preferably inline. Would allow me to remove my tank lid without dragging the ballast, etc., around with me. Any thoughts? :D :D :D

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
The power supplied by the ballast to the CF bulbs is relatively high voltage and high frequency. If you use a plug/socket connector it should be capable of handling the voltage and frequency without experiencing arcs. I suspect this would be an easy job for a connector, but I'm not sure. I would worry more about putting a switch in one line - switches do tend to arc when they are moved to the off position.

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Used 2 plug/receptacle combinations, one for each bulb assembly ( 2 x 96 watts CF, from AHS). Swapped plugs and receptacles so they couldn't be plugged in together incorrectly, got everything for about 10 bucks and change. Would have liked a single 4 prong connector, much like you see in automotive work, but this will do very nicely. Appreciate the response and help. :D :D