This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

pleco question

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by tedr108, Sep 27, 2008.

1. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:12 PM
    I wanted to try a pleco out in a 29G tank.

I wanted a pleco that wouldn't get too big and bought a clown pleco (rated as "aggressive"). I was interested in a rubbernose pleco (RNP -- rated as "peaceful") also, but 1) my LFSs have never had one in stock that I've noticed and 2) RNPs supposedly need a tank of 30G or more (I know a 29G is close to that, but my 29 is higher rather than wider and I wouldn't want the pleco to be unhappy).

I have not noticed the clown pleco bothering any other critters in my tank: pencils, cardinals, panda cory (fry) or shrimp. So, is the aggressiveness only towards other clown plecos?

Is there any reason I should hold out for a rubbernose? I could probably get one of the LFSs to special order one for me. I do not mind returning the clown pleco -- it was only $6. The clown pleco seems happy and is eating well. I sure don't see him very often, however. :)

2. Crazymidwesterner

Crazymidwesterner Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I have had only 2 kinds of pleco's. Bulldog (Rubber nose) Plecos and bristlenose. My bulldog pleco stayed very small and was very shy and my bristlenose got considerably larger and ate my plants like crazy. They actually decimated my tank eating my swords and hygros. I personally like the bulldogs much more.

No experience with clown plecos but I believe the above two are the only ones that stay small. Most other plecos can get quite large. I'm am defintiely not an expert though.

3. rich815

rich815 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    My experience with my Bristlenose Plecos was opposite this in terms of plants. I have two in my heavily planted 72 gal that I got about a year ago when they were about 3" long. They are now probably just over 4" and seemed to have stopped growing. They are both very active and not shy in the least. They gnaw voraciously at leaves, driftwood and glass on micro-algae but have never done any damage to or eating of any plants. Occasionally in their rooting around in the substrate they will upset a newly planted plant that I may have introduced the night before but never have ripped out anything that's been established.

Awesome little guys to have around though I wish they were not so bland in their color. I'm thinking to add one of those more colorful ones I see online (zebra-stripped, gold-spotted --- in color and patterns, not their names) but have not researched which of those stay small.

Now, all that said I have one other in my planted 10 gal and he's so shy I rarely see him. If I come into the room and he's out front he darts to the back and hides under plants or rocks.

4. captain_bu

captain_bu Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    My bristlenose ancistrus is not much of an algae eater and spends most of his time hiding. I have had him for almost 7 years and he is about 4.5" long. I finally moved him to a different tank since a lot of stuff was getting uprooted accidently as he moved around the tank at night. The tank I moved him to has two sword plants in it and they have been decimated since the BN was introduced. Other than the swords I haven't had any other plants destroyed by it.

5. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the responses.

Long term, I'll get a bulldog (rubbernose) for sure. As far as I can tell, there is no problem keeping 2 or more together -- not the case with clowns.

In the mean time, the clown is doing fine. I'll be transferring him to the 29G soon -- it is almost cycled. We'll see how it goes with the plants. He doesn't come out much, but I bought him as a "work" fish to eat algae that may come along. Unfortunately, using Tom's methods I have so little algae that my algaes eaters are starved, unless I grow algae on rocks on purpose in a glass container outside. A while back, a racoon broke my last algae "factory" and I haven't done it in a while. My otos are unhappy.

Once or twice a week, I put a big piece of cucumber in with my clown pleco. He totally reams out the seeded area in one night. :) At least one of my otos gnaws on the cucumber too.