This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Pleco Question

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by geektom, Nov 3, 2018.

1. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    4:50 AM
    Hey guys- I have never kept more than one pleco in a tank before.

If I start my 135g tank with the small (3”) calico bushynose from my 29g, will I be able to add a gold nugget, or possibly a phantom, later?

2. DeepMetropolis

Local Time:
    5:50 AM
    I see thanks with multiple plecos a lot i don't think they are very hostile against each other.

3. AguaScape

AguaScape New Member

Local Time:
    8:50 PM
    Many opinions differ and I think it is mainly people who try and keep multiple plecos in a small tank or people who introduce a new pleco into an established pleco's territory (or both) that have the most problems. A 135 is a pretty good sized tank and should provide territories for multiple plecos.

All plecos are different and have different personalities. Even the same species can have widely different behaviors. Most will do well together as long as they have good hiding places that are spaced apart. Most plecos are happiest when there is good current around their hiding places. Both of your choices are known for being more peaceful than some species. They are also known to be harder to keep.

Bushynose stay pretty small and get along with most everything. However, Gold Nugget can get up to 9 inches and (blue?) phantoms top out at around 7 inches. I love the mid sized plecos, but they do require some space. Gold Nuggets are beautiful, but they are hard for me to keep. They prefer warmer temperatures and very good water quality. My water is too hard to keep them alive :(.

It is good that your bushynose is already established so that the newer mid-sized plecos will grow up with him. I would recommend that you introduce them together at a young age. If you have a mid-sized full grown pleco already established, it may not be happy with a new pleco nosing around it's territory.

DeepMetropolis likes this.
  4. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Awesome information, thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. AguaScape

AguaScape New Member

Local Time:
    8:50 PM
    A great source of information on plecos (and all catfish for that matter) is PlanetCatfish. https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=210 That link is to the Blue Phantom, but you can search almost any known pleco

geektom likes this.
  6. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks! I have used that site before- that was how I found out my “no-bristles-calico bristlenose” was a female.

I just couldn’t find anything specific that addressed their aggressiveness towards each other.