This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Please tell me what's wrong with my plant.

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by bluedragon, Apr 22, 2011.

1. bluedragon

bluedragon Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    3:51 AM
    I had good tank with healthy plants (co2, EI dosing) for over a year. Now I am seeing brown spots on plant leaves. I tried to scrape them to see if they were algae but they don't appear to be living on top of plant leaves. They look like they are inside plant leaves, like mole in skin. You can only see these spots on top part (front side) of leaves and cannot see from back side of leaves. I am really confused if they are algaes that cannot be scraped or my plants have some desease. But these brown stuff on leaves are eating my swords leaves away. Anubus leaves have lots of them as well, they look like dirt sitting on leaves but since the leaves are thick these brown stuff do not develop into holes.
    I have attached pictures, please help!!!!

Tank Size: 55 gallons
    Light: 130 watts (6700k)
    CO2: pressurized co2, 5 bubble per second using Max Jet 600 which send the co2 as mists (drop checker with 5dkh soultion stays light green)
    Substrate: 75% Flourite and 25% gravel mix, Seachem Flourish Tabs (i add root tabs once in few months)
    Water Change: 75% once a week.
    Dose:
    KNO3:1/2 tsp 3x week
    K2SO4:1/4 tsp 3x a week
    Fleet Enima: 1.5 to 2 ml 3x a week (keeps phosphate around 4/5 ppm)
    Traces: 10mls 4x a week (1 tablespoon of CMS+B and a tsp of Fe Gluconate in 500ml water)

#1 bluedragon, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011
  2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Please share some detail like tank size, lighting, EI dosing dosages, how you inject c02, etc.

Have you been increasing c02 and ferts as bio-mass fills in? If not, you can have deficiencies now as you have more plants to consume them...

3. bluedragon

Local Time:
    Hi Gerry
    Thanks for your response, yes i increased co2 and ferts as bio mass increased, i do treaming eveyweek as well and don't have crazy bio mass. This is my current settings which i have been running for past 5 months. By the way have you seen those brown stuff before?are they algae?

Tank Size: 55 gallons
    Light: 130 watts (6700k)
    CO2: pressurized co2, 5 bubble per second using Max Jet 600 which send the co2 as mists (drop checker with 5dkh soultion stays light green)
    Substrate: 75% Flourite and 25% gravel mix, Seachem Flourish Tabs (i add root tabs once in few months)
    Water Change: 75% once a week.
    Dose:
    KNO3:1/2 tsp 3x week
    K2SO4:1/4 tsp 3x a week
    Fleet Enima: 1.5 to 2 ml 3x a week (keeps my phosphate around 4/5 ppm)
    Traces: 10mls 4x a week (1 tablespoon of CMS+B and a tsp of Fe Gluconate in 500ml water)

Regards
    NN

#3 bluedragon, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011
  4. bluedragon

Local Time:
    Please someone look at attached pic and tell me what is that brown patches in the leaves

5. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    How often do you trim and replant? Overgrown plants cause overcrowding and the old stems tend to get unhealthy, especially, the bottom part of stem plants or the older leaves of Echinodorus, Anubias and Cryptocoryne.

6. chopsticks

chopsticks Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Hey do you mean 5 drops as with a dropper?

If that is it, is not 5 drops too little? I think I'm adding about 2 to 3 drops of Fleet Enema daily (1,4 ml per week, diluted with KNO3) to my 5 gal tank, so im adding more of it weekly on a tank that is 11 times smaller.

Am I adding too much?

Cheers,
    Juan

#6 chopsticks, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
  7. bluedragon

Local Time:
    Hi Crispino
    I trim my stem plant once evey month, I uproot the plant cut the top part and replant them. I never trim my Swords, i just pull out the old dead leaves and I don't touch Anubias at all. The pictures were taken from top of the tank so the leaves in the attached pics are top and new leaves of plants (except for the sword leaf that has hole). I see these red dots in plant on old and new leaves. Have you seen this before? I have been searching on web but cannot find any help or issue like this.
    Regards
    NN

8. bluedragon

Local Time:
    Hey Juan
    First think i need to edit my post and correct it. I keep my Fleet Enema in a plastic bottle; I pour on bottle cap and drop from there, they are large drops (about 2.0 ml every other day) it keeps my phosphate at 4/5 ppm. (i check only when i am really bored and have nothing to do)
    Regards
    NN