This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Please help me understand...

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by JKKomm, May 16, 2016.

1. JKKomm

JKKomm Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:39 PM
    Hey Guys,

I need some insight in the following matter.

I installed a cerges co2 reactor. Ever since installing (and replacing my canister with a Eheim 2217), I am having a difficult time getting my plants to pearl like my old system.

Today, I noticed a leak in the plumbing, and resorted back to my GLA 50mm Atomic diffuser. Almost immediately after installing the atomic diffuser, my plants started pearling.

Now I read Tom Barr's article about the benefits of micro bubble diffusers. (Paraphrasing) "That plants might have a easier time getting the co2 in a bubble state". Also there is the efficiency of the cerges with near 100% dissolution of the gas.

So here is the confused part. Many people seem to have great success with the cerges, and so did I in the beginning (plants pearled 2 hours earlier than with diffusers). After the first water change using the cerges, not much pearling.

Now although it seems like I answered my own question (use the diffuser), I am not liking the 7-up look of the diffuser, so please. Can you explain why a change in delivery caused such a immediate reaction to the plants, and how can I achieve my "pearling" tank with the cerges, that seem so effortless with a diffuser.

Thanks guys, for all your insight and time helping me understand this

2. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    8:39 AM
    Curious about this as well because Ive seen it for myself recently.

In one tank (75 gal) I recently switched from an undersized Sera which produced a fair amount of mist in the tank , to a monster griggs/cerges combo. Yes you read that correctly. Needless to say there is now 100% dissolution.

Pearling dropped I'd say 50%, both globally and with individual species. Growth and plant health changed, some things got bigger and colored up differently, but not necessarily better. Objectively I cant say whether things are actually better now or not.

In another tank (50 gal), co2 is running straight into a powerhead, pre-diffused with a piece of chopstick in the end of the co2 line. So there is TONS of mist. Plants pearl like crazy, and oddly enough, the PH seems to drop easier with less CO2, I have many of the same species in both tanks, including lots of finicky stems. Also same ferts, substrate, nearly the same light, etc.

Plant health and color is slightly better than in the 75, always has been. So much so that Im actually thinking about ditching the monster reactor and using a powerhead for that one too.

I should probably add that both tanks grow well with minimal algae issues. There's no real problem Im trying to solve here, but Im starting to feel like mist is better, at least in my case.

May have something to do with hardness? My tap is 5.5 KH and 8-9 GH, ~7.6 PH

#2 burr740, May 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  3. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    6:39 AM
    More o2 in the water=more plants easily release + visibility?

i think all do with o2 saturation, content already in the water

pearling doesn't necessarily mean good.

4. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    6:39 AM
    And burr is right about the hardness as well. Plants will pearl more in lower hardness

5. JKKomm

JKKomm Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks burr and strung out. I understand your point.

I also understand pearling is not a solid indication of plant health...but that is the only visual representation I can go off of.

Sorry, maybe I didn't make it very clear. The water parameters did not change, and the switch from verges co2 reactor to atomic diffuser were minutes from each other, and almost immediately after changing the plants started pearling.

I am on the fence on this one... Based on the discussion, I'm either going to buy another inline diffuser, or fix my cerges. I could really use your guys help on this on.

Thanks

#5 JKKomm, May 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  6. JKKomm

JKKomm Junior Poster

Local Time:
    So I went ahead a purchased another inline diffuser from GLA. Plants are responding better, massive amounts of pearling like before, reduction of algae in aquarium, and as a side benefit I can see the flow of the water with the micro bubbles. This aids me in covering any "dead spots" of flow, which ironically wasn't where I was getting the algae.

7. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    I'm just wondering if 50% of the pearling you are seeing is mist that attaches to the under side of the leaves and accumulated the pearls up to the surface. Maybe that pocket of co2 caught under the leaf supply's a good amount of co2 to the plant sort of like if the leaf was exposed out of the water at the surface.my tank barley has any mist but the plants have always grown pretty quickly I notice more pearling when the tank is half empty during a water Change and directly after but I'm still learning myself as well.

#7 SwampGremlin, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016