This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Please help choosing CO2 equipment

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Myka, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Myka

Myka Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    1:10 PM
    I'm looking to buy my CO2 equipment on Ebay (prices seem good), unless someone can direct me to an online Canadian supplier with good prices.

From reading a bunch it seems like the Azoo regulator and solenoid is the way to go, but I'm a bit confused which needle valve to go with. I think people have been complaining about the Azoo needle valve. I've also heard that it may be wise to purchase a cylinder from the place where I will refill it as some vendors don't like to refill containers they didn't sell. Any thoughts?

I think I need a cylinder, regulator, solenoid, needle valve, bubble counter, drop checker, and a diffuser. Anything else? Now, keeping cost in mind (it's only for a 20 gallon aquarium), what would you choose for the different pieces as the best bang for the buck?

OR...instead of messing around with international orders, I have a source nearby where I can get a JBJ complete set including ceramis diffuser, drop checker, and bubble counter for a reasonable price of CAD$215 including a filled cylinder. Should I just go with that? I'm just worried about warranty issues, and having to send it to JBJ instead of just the vendor.

Also, what is the difference between these two Azoo regulators? They look awfully different, which one is better/more suitable?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cggorman

cggorman Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    1:10 PM
    The two gas supply places I use never even blink at my cylinder and I bought it online. They just check the inspection date and fill it up. In USA we need to have the cylinder inspected every 5 years. It cost me about US$25 for inspection/certicication and about $11 for a fill-up. This a 5lb aluminum cylinder.

As far as equipment sources, don't rule out home-brew and misc. beer or restaurant supply places. Most kegerators use the same CO2 equipment we use in our hobby.