This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Please give me advice with lightning,

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Zarke, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Zarke

Zarke Subscriber

Local Time:
    9:53 PM
    Well i have a JUWEL Rio 300 (350L) 90 gallon (2 moths planted), it is 121cmLx 66cmHx51cmW, lightning is T5 HO 4x54W with reflector on each bulb, In Juwel aquarium lights are allmoust tuching water they are preaty close to water not high above like you guys have so I am wondering is this to much light.

My question is this to much light for my tank, plants are pearling like crazy but i can also see dont know what algea GSA or GDA or coating algae. I belive that this is high lightning and this is preaty dangerous game, i could easly make mistake in ferst or co2 and make problem for my self.

My bulbs are 2x dennerle amazon day, 2x dennerle super plant (picture of lamps i attachment)

Macros

3x a week 3/4 KNO3

3x a week 2/4 KH2PO4 (was 1/4 , but after i saw GSA i start 2/4 KH2PO4)

3x 10 ml Easy life Potassium

Micros

3x a week 10 ml Profito

3x a week 5 ml Ferro

Each day I dose 5 ml easy life carbo...........

1. Do i have to much light on my tank???

2. Should i take off all reflectors and leave 4x54W without reflectors?

3. How much can I go low with lights to prevent algae and fast growth but still to have nice "normal" growth and nice tank with this plants that i have in tank:

rotala macranda___monte carlo__ limnophila hipporuides__ AR rosarveg__ AR mini__Bolbitis heudelotti__ echinodorus klain bar__ elocharis accicularis__blyxa japonica__hygrophila pinatifida__ hygrophila corymbosa compact__ rotala rutindofolia__ rotala indica__ stargrass__ microsorum pteropus__ microsorum pteropus trident__pogestemon erectus.

Thank you a lot,

Davor Zaric

Mostar, BiH

#1 Zarke, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017
  2. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    You can grow a lot of plants in low to medium light. All thof e plants you listed can do well in those conditions. Macandra might not color up as much in lower light but I have had it decent at about 50 PAR.

I would suggest start low on light and increase it slowly once your tank has settled in. GDA is common in new starts with high light.

GSA is generally in most cases can be fixed with higher Phosphate dose.

The more light you have the more demand from plants so you need to have good CO2 and Nutrients for them else algae will win the battle.

3. Zarke

Zarke Subscriber

Local Time:
    Well That's super News, I took 2 reflectors from bulbs... now i have 2 with reflector 2 without. Light is little bit dimmer. I would Like to go without reflectors but will that be a lot? Tank is 66 cm deep

4. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor

Local Time:
    If it looks dimmer, leave it and monitor.

5. Zarke

Zarke Subscriber

Local Time:
    Ok, i will monitor for 3 weeks with a higher KH2PO4 dosing 2/4 tsp instead 1/4 tsp.... i hope GSA will gone. And GDA as this is 2 months old tank will probably go to past when tank marures.

6. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Always start with lower light. As you gain confidence and understanding, gradually increase light and see what happens. Things are much simpler with lower light.

Half tsp of KH2PO4 is 4X what I dose. No need for it, but probably no harm either.

7. Zarke

Zarke Subscriber

Local Time:
    4x less on 90 gallon?

Well i am not doing good than, Because i have GDA and GSA (higher po4 recomended), So i was thinking i could rise it....

shoul i than Stay with recomended way,

90 gallon

KNO3 3/4 tsp

KHPO4 1/4 tsp

Easy Life Profito 20 ml

Dont know shoul i add potassium Because there is a lot of IT in KNO3 and Profito?

And Fe there is a lot of IT in Profito, shoul i add Easy Life Ferro 5 ml?

And i need to mention that i remove all reflectors and now run 4x54 W without reflectors to calm things Down. When i Had all reflectors some plants where growing Like Crazy (stargrass, echinodorus, Monte carlo ect), but other Like punnatifida, microsorum where covered with GSA or GDA. Now i would Like to even things with lower Light and EI dosing. Hope that this is not to low Lightning for my plants

thx

#7 Zarke, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2017
  8. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    My phosphate dosing is adequate. If you are dosing 4X more and still have GSA, then perhaps, the algae is not due to low phosphate.

I think it is possible that you could have GSA if a tank is really deficient in phosphate. But if you have enough (which you do) then you have to conclude that low P is not the cause of your algae.

Remove low P as a cause for the problem and move onto other causes.

My suggestion is to reduce light. Removing reflectors is not enough.

9. Zarke

Zarke Subscriber

Local Time:
    I Wish I could do that because this Juwel stock Lightning is 2x54-2x54 and that is a hood. I can not move this Lights :-( .... i will try without reflectors is a half dimmer than with reflectors and see. If that doesn't help i Would make DIY 2x54

10. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor

Local Time:
    Can't you just take a bulb out?

11. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I had a juwel vision (same as the Rio but curved front..) years ago, removing some or all the reflectors will make a big difference, try that first and go from there.

I added reflectors to mine and had instant algae.

12. Zarke

Zarke Subscriber

Local Time:
    I took all of them, things Just slow Down... pearling before was Like Crazy Like sparkling water... filters start to Rattle as they suck them in... incredible. And yes plants in one week where ready to trim. And in one point GSA i GDA in a day puff... and problems came.

Now its lot nicer, i have 8h photoperiod and now after 4-5 hours i got nice pearling, before after one our Like crazyyyy i could see plants Grow. I have 3 babys ;-), not for me So fast.

I put pictur of my aquarium now with reflectors out, still enought light i think. We will se ;-)

13. Zarke

Zarke Subscriber

Local Time:
    Well, if someone is confused now its me, if someone can HELP it will be nice...

on this two pictures you can see my bulbs 2x T5 SUPER PLANT and 2x T5 AMAZON DAY, and my lights are from bulb to substrate around 55-60 cm what is without reflectors for SUPER plant T5 840 lux =17, 87 PAR and AMAZON DAY 820 lux= 17,44 PAR;

1. What that means? Low light ?

2. If I have 4x54 W, should I count together individual PAR of 4 bulbs and get PAR of my lightning?

3. In Dennerle picture we can see bulbs listed on left with different W and dimensions, but on right one table with LUX... so confused (LUX and W..its same for any W) ???

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

EI dosing question:

1. Now, when I have reduced lightning by removing reflectors, should i cut on EI dosing ? ( I left CO2 as it was with lights with reflectors)

Thank you guys,

Davor Zaric

Mostar

Bosnia and Hercegovina

#13 Zarke, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2017
  14. tinkerman

tinkerman Subscriber

Local Time:
    I would not worry about trying to figure PAR from the pics as there are to many variables. Reflectors, ballasts, and bulbs are not known from pics so no idea how to compare to your light. There are 3 man brand t5 ballasts workhorse, HEP, and icecap or what ever they are called now. Workhorse ballasts underdrive the bulb, HEP drive the bulb the way it should, and icecap overdrive the bulb. So basicly workhorse 50w, Hep 54w, icecap 60w for example I know there is info on how much they over or underdrive the bulb to get w. reflectors or bulbs being dirty will affect PAR as will cooling the bulbs. Lighting is confusing. If you really want to know what your par is buy a PAR meter, they are not cheap but there are some cheaper options now where you can get just the sensor and hook it to a volt meter and do some math or kook to a computer. Not something you will use much but are nice to have to take the guess work out of it Sorry don't mean to confuse you anymore.

15. Zarke

Zarke Subscriber

Local Time:
    Thank you, i understand what is in role... I will find someone with PAR meter and see... for now I took reflectors and will see in about 3 weeks how plants react to less light than they used to in my tank, taking off reflectors made a huge change.

16. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor

Local Time:
    Don't worry about PAR. Observe the plants and new growth.

if they are growing fine with the current light levels, leave it at that. If you find too slow of a growth or some species struggling, then you can add a reflector or two back on the center ones.

one thing I might consider changing later is switch one of the bulbs to ones with higher reds (hydrophonic type) to get better color of the red plants.

17. Zarke

Zarke Subscriber

Local Time:
    Yes, I will do that and let the plants tell me what to do if I need to change something....

T5 Dennerele Special Plant have a nice peak in red as you can see in graf. Reds are perfect red under this light. AR rosanervig is RED like dark blood and purple too.

i poot from front to back Amazon Day-Amazon day-Special Plant-Special Plant... so nice looking in person.

18. Zarke

Zarke Subscriber

Local Time:
    I just wont to say that i am algae free (GSA and GDA),

Thx for your advice people, cutting down on lights helped me big time.

I didnt Touch GDA for a while and it was dark green and when i took it off with credit card no more of GDA.

GSA is gone too, i cut all infected leaves on AR Roservig, and AR mini, Microsorum pteropus trident and Bolbitis heudelloti... new growth has start and no more algea at all.

Now my only problem is I have a lot of lagae eaters, now i need to feed them too....

Low light, lot of CO2 and EI is way to go.....

Thx again, my problems are solved...

Davor Zaric

Mostar, BiH

19. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor

Local Time:
    Glad its working out.

Don't try to feed the algae eaters with other food, they get lazy and wont eat algae later and just keep adding to your bio load. Keeping them starved ensures that they will do their job. If you find that you have got a proper handle over your algae, you should think of removing the fish eating fish like BNP, SAE. Shrimps and Oto's on the other hand you can leave it.

20. Zarke

Zarke Subscriber

Local Time:
    Yes, good idea.... I have 4 BNP and 6 SAE, ill try to catch them and move them...