Please, advice my CO2 setup

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Hi,

Here's my setup

Cylinder, Solenoid, check valve 1, check valve 2, AM 1000

I have an Ideal Needle valve from Rex Grigg waiting to be mounted (inline modded) + a Dennerle drop count

Am I running something wrong? And where should I put the Ideal valve? My actual built in needle valve is completely unsteady on bubble count

Many thanks for your advice

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
jonny_ftm,

It looks fine. Are you having trouble with it?

The ideal valve would REPLACE the one in your regulator assembly.

Not sure how to replace it on your setup........

Hope this helps.

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
My problem is the yoyo that Tom mentioned. Probably due in part to my bad flow. Last days, I saw all those lily pipes setups and understood that my filter outlet was badly placed.

Also, I don't know if it is my needle valve, the pressure reducer or something else, but CO2 bubble count is never consistent.

The Ideal valve from Rex' is modded for inline setup. So, I would only have to connect it to CO2 loop hose. I'll fully turn on my actual built in needle valve and adjust CO2 with the ideal valve.

Where do you think I should put the ideal valve? Before, between or after the two check valves or even before solenoid? Also, teh bubble counter, should be just after the ideal valve or separated by a check valve?

I'm really confused

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
jonny_ftm,

I usually place the bubble counter immediately AFTER the needle valve used to adjust the bubble rate...

I would then place a check valve between the reactor inlet and the needle valve or bubble counter. You want to prevent water from getting into the needle valve assembly.

I no longer use a bubble counter. At least once a week I check the bubble rate by placing the hose end into a clear glass of water. This check along with ph, drop checker, health of fish and plants, help keep me on the right path.

The bubble counter I had was fixed to the regulator and leaked which is why I tossed it........

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Typically the valve is placed after the solenoid. There is no practical reason I can think of why you couldn't reverse the two, but the usual regulator setup is Regulator > Solenoid > valve > bubble counter ( if applicable ), check valve ( if applicable ). Some bubble counters already have check valves in them, but having a second inline usually does no harm and provides just that extra little bit of protection in case the other one decides not to work.

From the photo, you MAY be able to replace that black elbow looking bit off your requlator with a needle valve. However, since you've already ordered one, just put it inline either before or after the solenoid. Given the low pressures we work with for CO2 there's probably no real difference.

-
S

-
S

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Many thanks for your advices.

The inline needle valve can be unmodded back to normal. It's just the same Ideal valve mounted with hose adapters.

I'll mount it inline following your instructions. Later, once I have to refill my cylinder, I'll try to unmount the built in valve on the reducer to simplify my setup.

At time, I'll try to get some metallic good quality check valves to be on the safe side

Many thanks again for your help