Plaster Of Paris Calcium Source

redilyn

Junior Poster
Mar 29, 2010
Kentville, Nova Scotia
Hi,

Can someone give me an idea how much plaster of paris I would use to with magnesium sulfate to raise GH 1 degree?

The msds for the plaster of paris says it contains the following:

plaster of paris - 60-100%
limestone - 10-30%
crystalline silica - 0.5-1.5%

Last edited by a moderator:

redilyn

Junior Poster
Mar 29, 2010
Kentville, Nova Scotia
I guess I should give a little more info

My tap water is 3dkh, 20ppm KH, and a ph of 6

Since I don't know my calcium and magnesium levels I would like to raise the gh a bit to ensure im not short on either. This would be part of my EI dosing.

I am using epsom salt for magnesium.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Information Please

Hi,

Along with the more information thing, the size of the tank helps. :)

Generally, I recommend a GH booster but it is not necessary. ;)

I can tell you that you cannot have only 20-ppm KH and 3 dKH, either you have 1.1 dKH or you have 51-ppm KH or so.

Personally, I dose to raise my general hardness GH at each water change. :D

Why don’t you start by telling us a little about yourself and your setup and what you are trying to accomplish?

Except for me, almost everyone is friendly. :eek:

Biollante

redilyn

Junior Poster
Mar 29, 2010
Kentville, Nova Scotia
Biollante;49511 said:
Along with the more information thing, the size of the tank helps. :)
Opps, ya that would probably help a lot eh? It is a 55gallon.

Biollante;49511 said:
I can tell you that you cannot have only 20-ppm KH and 3 dKH, either you have 1.1 dKH or you have 51-ppm KH or so.
Ok, I'm confused now. I am willing to accept that my test kit is not accurate (nutrifin test kit). It also gives measurments in mg/l which I tried to convert to degrees. But the numbers I gave are what I am getting. I will give them again in mg/l.

GH 60mg/l
KH 20mg/l

My water is from a sand point if that makes any difference.

Biollante;49511 said:
Why don’t you start by telling us a little about yourself and your setup and what you are trying to accomplish?

In the EI dosing sticky it mentions raising GH 1 degree to ensure calcium and magnesium are adequate. This is what I'm trying to do :)

Its late here and I don't feel like typing to much but I will gladly provide more information about my setup later. I really like this forum (just found it recently) and plan to get more involved.

Thank you for helping me again Biollante. BTW the cidex is working well :)

Last edited by a moderator:

redilyn

Junior Poster
Mar 29, 2010
Kentville, Nova Scotia
Ok, I feel totally dumb now... You are correct those numbers are not right....

I mixed my test results for my tank & tap water tests. Lets just go with the results from my testing of the tank water and forgive me for my stupidity LoL.

PH 6.4
KH 40mg/l
GH 60mg/l

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
KH GH Who Knew

Hi,

I sort of figured you got your KH’s and GH’s confused, had I been one of the decent folk around here, well… :eek:

I would go with three-quarters to a teaspoon of the plaster of Paris and half to a teaspoon of Epsom Salts at each 50% or greater water change it will raise the general hardness to 6 or 7 dGH. It will make sure your plants, fish and snails are good and strong, if you are heavily planted and/or into gastropods use significantly more. :gw

I am glad to hear the Cidex is working well. I cannot believe how much some of these outfits get for thing by marketing it to hobbyists. :p

Good luck
Biollante