This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

plants with rust spots on them

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by naz, Jan 9, 2009.

1. naz

naz Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:12 AM
    i started my planted tank 1 mouth ago,and im having some problems,im useing dry ferts and following the rotine of james planted tank,im doing what it says to do on the rotine ,but my plants are showing some sort off nutrients problems.thay have rusty leaves on the lower older leaves and thay are going pale white in colour thay just dont look healfy ,i cant work out why, if im following the rotine i am using ro water as i am going to put dicuss in there i am using 1/4 tap water 3/4 ro,i am using half a tsp mag,every water change as thay advises me in my other posts on here,but i think i over doses on the mag instead off putting, half tsp ,i putt 4 tsp of mag, iv done 2 50% water changes since then that is the only thing i can think thats my ploblem but i fort if you do a 50%wc it resets it ,when i last done my posts on here i think i done my water tests wrong so thay mite off give me the wrong advice with the mag ,here is my rotine and set up,water tests as iv done them again.....im a total beginer at this planting tank .....newbie

240l tank
    eco complete sub
    2/3 bubbles sec
    4x39w t5 lights
    power flow

ferts rotine
    sunday50%wg3/4tspkn03 3/16kh2p04 1/2 mag
    mon trace1/4
    tues same kn03 kh2p04
    wed trace 1/4
    thu same kn03 kh2p04
    fri trace 1/4
    sat rest day

ro water mixed wiht tap

ph7.0
    kh 40ppm/l/mg
    gh60ppm/l/mg

tank water tests ph7.8 co2 on ph6.9 kh80ppm 5gh,gh140ppm 8gh........

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You have about twice as much light as you can use, and you don't get enough CO2 in the water. I use around 3-5 bubbles per second of CO2 on a 45 gallon tank, and your tank is a third bigger, so you would need at least 4-6 bubbles per second, if you have some surface rippling, which you also need. I would start by using only two of the T5 bulbs for light, then start increasing the CO2 bubble rate, until you get good pearling an hour or two after the lights and CO2 come on. Stop increasing it only if the fish start to lose their colors, or those that don't normally do so, start clustering at the surface gasping for air.

3. SuperColey1

SuperColey1 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    What lph is your filter. The biggest problem we see on the UK forums is CO2 related in that through the tank the CO2 isn't getting circulated well. Use 2 drop checkers. One at the diffuser end and one the opposite end and see what the difference is. Alternatively move it to the diffuser end for a day. If you find yellow at one end and dark green at the other you could try upping the circulation with a Koralia1 or 2 to try and get things moving around a bit.

I would second Vaughn's comments. My tank is half your size (125Ltr) and I use less than quarter of the light (30W T5HO.) My bps is about 3. My circulation is 2200lph total.

Just for anyone else who wonders about the magnesium element. Around the London area the water supply is hard but is more calcium with not a lot of magnesium.

I would get the light/dosing/CO2 balance sorted out before adding discus. You don't really want to playing about with it once they are in there.

AC

4. naz

naz Junior Poster

Local Time:
    pumps co2 mag

my filter pump is a fluver 305 new with the tank the lph is 1000 u.s liters,which dont seem alot compared to yours, i all ready have a koralia 2 power flow but it dont seem that powerful got it places at the bottom of the tank at one side near the reactor,dont seem to move a lot of water at other end,i will try that with the drop cheaker see wot happens,im starting to get brown algee so i will up the co2 hopfuly that will sort it out should i carry on useing mag even thought i over doses cos my gh has gone up quit abit.......cheers for the info.

5. SuperColey1

SuperColey1 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I wouldn't use the magnesium to up the KH unless you know what you are doing. I don't know enough about altering water parameters to suggest anything on this. All I meant is that most of us in the UK assume hard water = enough magnesium and Calcium for the plants but several in the London area have found there isn't much magnesium and therefore add it to their macro solutions for dosing.

The Koralias don't feel as powerful as they state but they are IME. They don't distribute the water in a jet like powerheads therefore because they spread the flow it seems weaker than a powerhead. Koralia 2 should provide you with realy good circulation 1000lph+2300lph = 3300lph / 240Ltr = 13.75x tank volume per hour!! Is this the same Koralia2 that we are talking about?

I use a 700lph external filter and a Koralia1 (1500lph) to get my 2200lph

AC

6. naz

naz Junior Poster

Local Time:
    arcadia t5 lighting 4x39w t5

just a question about the lighting, wot u said,are you saying that i will never be able to use the 4 , 39w t5 bulbs ,thay are too powerful, or just until the tank starts geting astablished ,and then change from 2 bulbs back too 4 bulbs ,because i like the look of the tank with the 4 lights going at once,iv uped the co2 to about 4/6 bubbles and the plants are starting too look better,the co2 comes on 2 hours before the lights.....co2 is at about 30ppm ,,,,,tank looking slightley better

7. ccLansman

ccLansman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    you can use 4x lights when ever you want :p
    just be prepared for the consequences as i am learning, out of control problems, poor plant health, hard to reach co2 goals.
    I would not recommend 4x until you have a REALLY good handle on co2, and fertilization and an eye for it.

8. naz

naz Junior Poster

Local Time:
    lighting

cheers for the avice cclansman,i think i will stick with 2 lights till i now what im doing a bit,starting to find out that you dont need high lighting to get good results you can do it with lower lighting and get less ploblems, and easyer too manage,i think i will yous 2 of the bulbs on for 6 hours of the day,and i might put 3 of the bulbs on for the last 2 hour when the co2 realy gets going see how that go,if not il stick too 2 bulbs on for 8 hour .....

9. ccLansman

ccLansman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    sounds like a good idea. I reduced my lights to 2x65 over my 60gal vs 4x65 and 5 days later have explosive growth. My glosso shoots off a new set of leaves every day and my sunset needs trimming every few days. Also i trimmed all my cambomba to 3-5 stocks and they are already reaching for the top of the tank. I know they are fast growers anywase but man o man am i happy with the results so far. Also overall the plants are looking much better. Even the slow growing anubis is shooting off new leaves.