This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Plants that do Excel will kill

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by joshvito, Dec 17, 2010.

1. joshvito

joshvito Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    12:53 AM
    I have read elsewhere that some plants will die if you use Excel in their tanks.
    I thought it may be helpful to list the genus of the plants that this applies to.
    I only know of one for sure, so I hope other will add/correct to my list!

1.) Vallisneria sp.
    2.) Sagittaria sp.

2. pepetj

pepetj Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Are you sure both Vallisneria and Sagittaria species get killed by the use of Excel? I have both plants and before I went pressurized I used Excel for a while with no observable damage to them.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

3. joshvito

joshvito Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I am not sure, however I have heard reports about non-vascular plants being affected. I have witnessed a lack of growth, and leaf shedding in my tanks with vals.

I'm going ask Seachem, and see what they say.

4. ibanezfrelon

ibanezfrelon Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    i haven't noticed valisneria or sagitaria react badly to EasyCarbo (Excell).
    I have seen ceratophyllum demersum melt few times after dosing it but i am not 100% sure of the correlation.
    Few people on a local forum were sure that pogostemon helferi were melted by easy carbo, but on the other hand, i know a guy that has helferi growing like a weed with everyday easy carbo dosing so....

5. joshvito

joshvito Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Here is my post in the Seachem section of APC.

This is why I am asking different people, because I hear it both ways.

6. camolager

camolager Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Maybe depends on how much you use. I was purposely overdosing excel to get rid of rhizo and my val nanas disinigrated in a week.

7. pepetj

pepetj Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Maybe a detrimental effect in aquatic non-vascular plants is dose dependent, time-exposure dependent, or both, since in my particular case I was extra careful as to not overdose and I only used it for a few weeks (5, maybe 6).

This is another issue we could observe through experimentation... I'll likely test it myself.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

#7 pepetj, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
  8. joshvito

joshvito Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    #8 joshvito, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010
  9. hbosman

hbosman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    When I first used Excel, I double dosed it for algae irradication. I had a batch of Valisneria melt but, left the roots in place. In a month or so, the Vals grew back and were no longer affected by the Excel. I think it is just a matter that some plants will melt but will grow back and do just fine once they are acclimated. I no longer use Excel though. I use EI dosing, pressurized CO2, water changes and light reduction to fight algae now.

10. Hallen

Hallen Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Lot's of true aquatic plants will get killed by a full dose of excel, mostly non-vascular plants indeed. If you up the dose slowly and have patience most plants can adapt so they can use Carbo/Excel as their Carbon uptake.

If you spray a 'fresh' batch of Riccia with Excel it'll mostlikely die. If you up the dose slowly and do not add that dose near the Riccia you'll be fine in a few weeks.