This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Plants Slowed-down Growth

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by knives00005, Jan 23, 2019.

1. knives00005

knives00005 New Member

Local Time:
    11:08 PM
    Hi all-

I noticed my plants have slowed down their growth.
    I have Ludwigia Pantanal, Green Cabomba, Limnophila Hippuroides. Pogostemnon Erectus, Ludwigia Glandulosa, Ludwigia Repens - all previously growing fast and requires trimming every 1 to 1.5 weeks. Now, I trim them like in 3 to 4 weeks, and I also noticed the stems were thin. They also lose leaves on the bottom (which is probably normal as light is blocked by upper leaves?).

I have the ff setup:

-Tank: 60x36x40cm (22.3 US gallons or 84.4 liters)
    -CO2: Pressurized co2, running at 4bps with drop checker on opposite side on light green (I lessened it from 7bps because the drop checker was turning yellow already, though fish are not gasping)
    -Lights: 2x HEPO Full spectrum LED, 7hrs/day. 40w each.
    -Substrate: ADA Amazonia Aquasoil (almost a year old)
    -Filter: Eheim Classic 250, with Lily Pipes
    -Ferts: DIY Osmocote and NilocG Thrive (this ramps up my Nitrates so high, that I will try Seachem/Aquavitro so that I can do specific doses). I previously dose 2 pumps, 3x a week, now I dose 4 pumps weekly on alternating days.
    -Water change: 50% weekly (with random changes mid-week if Nitrates shoots above 80ppm)
    -Temp: 26C - I also have a fan to cool down the water.

Fauna: Several Harlequin Rasboras, Galaxy Rasboras(or Celestial Danio?), Corydoras.

2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:08 PM
    I think it's most likely a CO2 related issue, probably flow and distribution. As plants grow they can start to block flow and distribution of CO2. Loosing lower leaves is a classic symptom.
    Your filter is perhaps a little underpowered too, You should really aim for a turnover that is about 10x the capacity of the tank per hr. You could try adding a powerhead to help with flow. If you do, try to position it to work with your filter outlet to create a gyre type flow.
    Bps doesn't really mean very much you should just aim for lime green drop checker at lights on and all the way till lights off.
    Also, as plants grow they will need more CO2 and also fertz; both will need adjusting from time to time to keep up with plant growth. I use ready mixed fertz, but as the plants start to grow I end up dosing way in excess of that recommend by the instructions. If I dose less plant growth slows quite dramatically and if I continue to dose less I will inevitably get symptoms of deficiency.
    You could also give some thought to using a eutrophic fertz regime like EI, which would mean you could effectively rule out deficiencies as a cause of poor plant growth, and concentrate on getting CO2 flow and distribution right, which is the difficult bit.

#2 Tim Harrison, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    skija likes this.
  3. knives00005

knives00005 New Member

Local Time:
    11:08 PM
    Thank you!

-Eheim 250 classic is recommended for tank sizes 80 liters to 250 liters (21.4 gallons to 66 gallons), so I guess it's within the acceptable range (though I have cleaned the foam, and the flow is much stronger now).
    -I have the 2 lily pipes positioned at each side of the tank (left is outflow, right is intake).
    -Co2 drop checker is light green (back then it was almost yellow. Had to dial it down or fauna may suffer)

-I guess I did not account for adjusting the fertilizer. I have a NilocG Thrive, but it builds up my Nitrate so fast (I got like 80+ ppm prior to doing 50% wc. poor fishes). I am now exploring on dry ferts, so I could adjust what they need.
    I'm already using EI (I have NilocG Thrive + Seachem Iron on alternating days) and do a 50% water change weekly.

I guess I'll observe if there are improvements now that the filter was cleaned.

Tags: