Plants not doing great...

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I think what Tom is saying is that fish gasping is not a good co2 indicator , because you can have a very low co2 level and fish gasping because of low o2 , and you can have a good co2 without fish gasping if you have good surface ripple and good o2... ...if i understood that right..

Hi ibanezfrelon,
My understanding is that CO2 won't displace O2. So if you have a low o2 level, you have a low o2 level, irrespective of whether your injecting CO2 or not. In other words, if you turn the CO2 on, and the fish head for the surface, then turn the CO2 off and the fish are ok again, only one variable is changing - the CO2 level - not the O2 level. I cannot see how fish gasping as a direct result of changing the single CO2 variable is not a good indicator of good CO2 level, ethics aside. This is of course assuming that there isn't a pre-existing O2 problem (i.e. tank very understocked with fish etc).

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
My plants are doing pretty good now , thnx for asking , since i've made a good co2 reacor and distribution. I have made a reactor out of Juwel internal filter , i have 3X 500lit-h powerheads wtih modified impellers meshing the co2 inside the reactor and it's distributed (co2) over a spraybar placed on the back bottom of the tank.
I have very fine microbubbles all over the tank.

Good stuff! Well done!

I also had success with misting bubbles all over the tank, but found that I used a lot of CO2 in the process. I'm sure that by using the same amount of CO2 fed into however many external reactors, I could acheive just as good a result and possibly have to turn the CO2 down a little...I think. I need to experiment with this now to compare the two.

As far aMy plants are doing pretty good now , thnx for asking , since i've made a good co2 reacor and distribution. I have made a reactor out of Juwel internal filter , i have 3X 500lit-h powerheads wtih modified impellers meshing the co2 inside the reactor and it's distributed (co2) over a spraybar placed on the back bottom of the tank.
I have very fine microbubbles all over the tank.

Like Tom has stated a number of times, each CO2 method has it's advantages/disadvantages. I can clearly see that the advantage of the misting method is the extreme simplicity and minimal cost (i.e. just a cheap modified powerhead, stick it in the tank, off you go). But the clear disadvantage is that you really have to thump the CO2 through it.