plants & light period

cannibal

Prolific Poster
Nov 18, 2009
croatia
hi again!
i have one simple question..in my aquarium, thanks to you, everything is perfect, plants are growing very well and i'm happy :D
question is, now light is on about 9 hours per day, and i see on plants that they are going to "sleep" after 8 hours (pictures)..what will happened, that i turn of light after 8 hours (i think probably nothing), and what will happened if i stay on this light period of 9 hours per day. can i have problems with algae, or with the plants?
thanks for helping
regards
dario !

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
9 hours is good. your plants are doing fine so why change?
Good change that even 8 hours is enough, but for now I see now reason why you should do that.

cannibal

Prolific Poster
Nov 18, 2009
croatia
i said, that after 8 hours, plants are closing down, and i think that i will have algae problem, because plants doesn't provide any nutritients after they closed, and this one hour can be used by algae..
maybe i'm wrong
Dario!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Reasonable logic.

Try 8 hours......should not hurt.

Regards,
Tom Barr

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Also related to simple logic...how long have you been running the lights 9 hours for?

If you've been running this photoperiod for a while now (say, a few months), and are not having an algae problem, then, as dbazuin said, why change?

On the other hand, if you've recently set the tank up and are 'thinking ahead', which is a good strategy, I can understand your question.

I have my lights on for 10 hours, so that I have a longer period to 'enjoy' looking at the tank, even though I too could probably get away with only 8.

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Daphne, AL (east Mobile Bay)
I do something similar. I raised my lights to get the right level with one of the two, two tube circuits and run them for 8 hours. I then switch over to a single bulb for an additional 4 hours. The single bulb at that night is enough to enjoy the tank in the evening but low enough that it doesn't cause problems. I know this for sure because I just finished a pitched battle with a Rhizo outbreak and this hasn't caused a resurgence, so far.

attachment.php

Pat

hbosman

Guru Class Expert
Oct 22, 2008
Leesburg VA USA
pat w;55898 said:
I do something similar. I raised my lights to get the right level with one of the two, two tube circuits and run them for 8 hours. I then switch over to a single bulb for an additional 4 hours. The single bulb at that night is enough to enjoy the tank in the evening but low enough that it doesn't cause problems. I know this for sure because I just finished a pitched battle with a Rhizo outbreak and this hasn't caused a resurgence, so far.

attachment.php

Pat

Do you still have CO2 on when just the one bulb is on?

cannibal

Prolific Poster
Nov 18, 2009
croatia
ok, i now what's the point, but, here in croatia is different situation with water..
now i'm going to complicated this thread :D ..
let's start..
when i'm messured my carbonate hardness i think that i have rocks in water, 19,9 messured, silicate also (i think, never messured),
why silicate, because now i have big problem with diathomea, at the same time when i was raise up my light to 9 hours..maybe this is the reason, maybe not, but before i had light to 8 hours per day, everything was just fine..
i start to use diy co2, kno3 40 ppm, kh2po4 4 ppm per week, 5 ml florena and 0,5 ml daily easy carbo..
yesterday i put my light again on 8 hours per day, and lover co2 to 1 bouble per 4 sec..
..does really this 1 hour can cause problem with diathomea?
in near future, i will turn off co2, and stay only with easycarbo, and with this fertilization.
complicated i now, but think that you will know waht i'm try to ask :D
regards
dario!