This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

plants & light period

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by cannibal, Sep 22, 2010.

1. cannibal

cannibal Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    6:59 PM
    hi again!
    i have one simple question..in my aquarium, thanks to you, everything is perfect, plants are growing very well and i'm happy :D
    question is, now light is on about 9 hours per day, and i see on plants that they are going to "sleep" after 8 hours (pictures)..what will happened, that i turn of light after 8 hours (i think probably nothing), and what will happened if i stay on this light period of 9 hours per day. can i have problems with algae, or with the plants?
    thanks for helping
    regards
    dario !

2. dbazuin

dbazuin Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    9 hours is good. your plants are doing fine so why change?
    Good change that even 8 hours is enough, but for now I see now reason why you should do that.

3. cannibal

cannibal Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    i said, that after 8 hours, plants are closing down, and i think that i will have algae problem, because plants doesn't provide any nutritients after they closed, and this one hour can be used by algae..
    maybe i'm wrong
    Dario!

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Reasonable logic.

Try 8 hours......should not hurt.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Also related to simple logic...how long have you been running the lights 9 hours for?

If you've been running this photoperiod for a while now (say, a few months), and are not having an algae problem, then, as dbazuin said, why change?

On the other hand, if you've recently set the tank up and are 'thinking ahead', which is a good strategy, I can understand your question.

I have my lights on for 10 hours, so that I have a longer period to 'enjoy' looking at the tank, even though I too could probably get away with only 8.

6. pat w

pat w Member

Local Time:
    I do something similar. I raised my lights to get the right level with one of the two, two tube circuits and run them for 8 hours. I then switch over to a single bulb for an additional 4 hours. The single bulb at that night is enough to enjoy the tank in the evening but low enough that it doesn't cause problems. I know this for sure because I just finished a pitched battle with a Rhizo outbreak and this hasn't caused a resurgence, so far.

[​IMG]

Pat

7. hbosman

hbosman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:

Do you still have CO2 on when just the one bulb is on?

8. pat w

pat w Member

Local Time:
    No, I shut off the CO2 about an hour before the transition from two tubes to one.

Pat

9. cannibal

cannibal Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    ok, i now what's the point, but, here in croatia is different situation with water..
    now i'm going to complicated this thread :D ..
    let's start..
    when i'm messured my carbonate hardness i think that i have rocks in water, 19,9 messured, silicate also (i think, never messured),
    why silicate, because now i have big problem with diathomea, at the same time when i was raise up my light to 9 hours..maybe this is the reason, maybe not, but before i had light to 8 hours per day, everything was just fine..
    i start to use diy co2, kno3 40 ppm, kh2po4 4 ppm per week, 5 ml florena and 0,5 ml daily easy carbo..
    yesterday i put my light again on 8 hours per day, and lover co2 to 1 bouble per 4 sec..
    ..does really this 1 hour can cause problem with diathomea?
    in near future, i will turn off co2, and stay only with easycarbo, and with this fertilization.
    complicated i now, but think that you will know waht i'm try to ask :D
    regards
    dario!