This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Plants in rockwool

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Henry Hatch, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Henry Hatch

Henry Hatch Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    12:22 PM
    I just re did a 30 gallon tank with a flourite substrate. I thought the substrate was coarse so I planted a group of foregroune plants with a bit of rockwool attached. I separated the plants in the pots with the rockwool into small clumps with just enough rockwool to keep the roots in place. I buried them in the substrate. Is this a potential problem ? I know there may be hydroponic nutrients embedded in the rockwool.

BTW how dusty is flourite. I washed each 5lbs for at least 5 min and it was still dirty. I was able to clear the tank with a flocculent, but if I vacuum even lightly the tank gets very cloudy.

Henry

2. orion2001

orion2001 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Hey Henry, I don't know regarding the rockwool but regular flourite is a pain to clean. It is very dusty and does have a tendency to cloud the water when vacuuming. On the other hand Flourite Black sand isn't cloudy at all. I didn't even rinse the gravel and it barely had any impact on the water clarity when I filled my tank up. I think Flourite black is also similar in that it isn't very dusty.

3. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Henry,

I usually remove as much of the rock wool as possible.

While I have buried plants with this still attached, I have not found it to be any more beneficial IME.

If you do leave it in, don't do it for long and remember to dig it out....Not sure if entirely degrades, but I have found pieces months later.........

Yes, normal Flourite is very dirty. I had the red in my 180 for +3 yrs and it was always dusty......

I switched to the black flourite and is much better.............rinsed easily at first and have no issues with replanting/scaping.

Hope this helps.