This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Plants in Higher Altitude

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by csmith, Jan 30, 2010.

1. csmith

csmith Guest

Local Time:
    3:25 AM
    Are aquatic plants affected differently in higher altitude like, well..we humans? Is there a need for a greater supply of O2? The 6700 ft elevation I find myself in has a huge effect on me as compared to those of you at 500 ft. Is it the same for plants?

2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:25 AM
    Speaking from my experience with nature, I've found that temperature from the thinned atmosphere is more of a problem than pure lack of oxygen. I believe the actual level of dissolved oxygen in standing water might change by something like 2ppm at 7,000ft vs sea level; I'm sure my own tanks vary by at least that much given that some have air stones while others do not.

3. DaBub

DaBub Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Never Heard of Any

Hi,

I grew up in Colorado Springs and went to school in Ft Collins. :cool:

I had fish and my Dad was a fish nut, plants and all. I had, well have, friends that used live in Woodland Park, I do not recall them having any problems. Never came up and I think they were over 8k'.

No problem I ever saw.

Also there are lots of fish keepers in CO.

Where are you?

4. csmith

csmith Guest

Local Time:
    Colorado Springs.

Sounds like my fish and plants are better off that I am.

5. DaBub

DaBub Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Hi,

I was born there so I never noticed it myself. :cool:

I saw a lot of relatives and then people moving in and many really suffered for a while. Not that I ever laughed at them or anything. ;)

The old advice was drink plenty of water and in 20 years or so you will acclimate. :eek:

just kidding, most folks just one day realize it doesn't bother them the way it used too. When you visit the low-landers, you will find yourself much more energetic. The air may even seem a bit overwhelming.

Good luck,

6. csmith

csmith Guest

Local Time:
    I had to go to Texas a few weeks ago, and I felt the difference there. I also noticed it when I came back and felt like I hadn't ever been here. It's madness I tell you!

7. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Glad I Did Not Know

Hi,

Figuring that t 6700 feet there is only about 78% of the oxygen as compared to sea level. :(

Frankly all the time I lived in Colorado, I never gave the issue as it relates to aquatic plants much thought. :eek:

It would seem to me that there would be only 78% of the O2 dissolved into the water. Of course, increased temperature also reduces the carrying capacity of the water. I really had not thought about it, but then it would seem that, as with higher temperature water there would be less dissolved CO2. :eek:

Aquatic plants cannot be grown in Colorado. :D

I am glad I did not know this all the years that I lived in Colorado. :cool:

Biollante

8. csmith

csmith Guest

Local Time:
    Don't you try to take away my excuse for being horrible at this hobby! :p

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    George Booth also is from CO and mentioned some differences in CO2/O2.
    There's less basically at higher altitudes.
    So might be a bit tougher adding it.
    Not much though

Regards,
    Tom Barr