This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Plants have stopped pearling

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by rjordan393, Apr 13, 2013.

1. rjordan393

rjordan393 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    2:17 AM
    Looking for possible cause?
    pH range is 6.57 to 6.70 using pressurized CO2 and pH controller.
    Kh before water change is 3.36 degrees. After water change, 4.48 degrees.
    Gh before water change is 7.84 degrees. After water change, 8.96 degrees.

Tank is a 75 gallon. Filtration is by two 350 magnums. Their spray bars are submerged to provide more current. There is very little surface movement.
    My CO2 checker does not indicate too much CO2. It is clear green.
    About 4 weeks ago, I started to add buffer to try and maintain close to 4 dKh and I think this may be related.
    I also use Seachems Equalibrium.

#1 rjordan393, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2013
  2. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    Water flow allows for O2 to be dissolved before it builds up to form a bubble. Slowing the flow may increase bubble formation.

3. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Hi rjordan ...

Solcielo's answer is practical ... pH is not a perfect indicator of CO2 availability and pearling by itself is not an indicator of plant health.

With the hard water that I have, I can get my plants to pearl, but only at very high CO2 levels that are beyond the limits safe limits for their fish partners ... so I don't worry about pearling.

Greg

4. rjordan393

Local Time:
    Thanks,
    I'll do the same.

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Stop adding dKH buffer, there's no need to add it.

That's likely the root source of the issue.

If plants were pearling and growing well prior, then CO2 is likely the issue and messing with KH often messes with CO2.
    I would stop adding KH and then see how the plants respond and try and tweak the CO2 to get that old nice pearling you had prior.

Good plant growth is the best "test" and you have a reference example and experience there already.
    Go slow with adjusting CO2.

Watch fish and plants for 2-4 days 1st, then adjust a little bit and watch again.

6. rjordan393

Local Time:
    Thanks again,
    I believe you may have something there. My municipal water report states that the Kh will change from 2.24 to 3.36 during the year and that's why I was adding buffer to try and maintain 4 dKh. But I find myself chasing the numbers while this is going on and changing my dose. So I'll take your advice and stop adding buffer.
    By the way, the plants have started pearling and I did a Kh test before my water change on 04/21/13 and it was 3.92 dKh. So adding buffer appears to be the problem.

#6 rjordan393, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013
  7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    If you keep using a pH controller, the change in KH will vary the CO2 quite a bit depending on how much you add.

So you can either test that and adjust the pH, or remove the pH controller and then not worry about the change in KH, since the rate of CO2 being added will be the same regardless if you do not use any pH control.
    This way the KH can go all over, but the CO2 is constant.

pH controllers are good devices assuming the KH is stable, but that's not the case.

Stay away from drop checkers, they are not even remotely close to being able to tell you what the CO2 is/is not.
    They also target a specific CO2 range, which may/may not be enough.

If the plants are not growing as they should be or look like the pretty pictures(the health/vitality, not the scape itself), then you need to make some changes or get the aquarium back to that state.
    That's the best test kit.