This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Plants for emerse growth in 85G

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Martin, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Martin

Martin Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

hi

I need some help.. I'd like to have some plants grow emersed in my tank...

But what plants grow 50+cm?

Is there other ways of enjoying emersed growth?

2. colonel

colonel Guru Class Expert

Re: Plants for emerse growth in 85G

If you just want to play around with emersed growth and its not really a must have.... to have plants spilling out of the top of your tank, then there are lots of ways to enjoy that ;)

There are many who have small set-ups just for crypts which are pretty neat. Some of the more rare ones are pretty hard to grow needing special requirments, but most of the common easier to find and available crypts will readily grow with no special treatment. All you need is a spare tank with a few inches of water, maybe a little pump or air stone to keep it moving, and some pots with a good nutrient substrate mix. Put a clear top on to keep it humid and your on your way ;) Note that if you dig around you can find a wealth of information about set ups and ways to go about it.

Most plants can be grown emersed, I have found various salad and take out containers with the clear snap on lids work really well to get plants started and once you have a good amount of growth above the water you can start to crack open the lid over a week or two and slowly get them used to the room humidy.... Right now im working with some glosso in a little take out container like that. Use your imangation and dont be afriad to try something..... whats the worst that could happen? haha

3. Martin

Lifetime Member

quite true.
    I've considered your suggestions before, and am keen on trying them out. What I am looking for, are plants that grow out of my current tank. I've googled quite a bit, but haven't found "THE source" ... I'll keep looking! =)

4. Martin

Lifetime Member

no one?

plant that would effectively grow out of my 50cm tall tank=?

5. PeterGwee

PeterGwee Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Most stem plants do that imo. You just need time and not trim them. Open top tanks are the best for such method.

Regards
    Peter Gwee