Plants are not Pearling

bluedragon

Prolific Poster
Apr 21, 2010
Burlington, Massachusetts
I did not know plants would use co2 with only 30 W, i thought the co2 use would be minimal that is why i had 30 watts light running for long hours (the tank looks better with light :) )and did not even factor those for photoperiod. i thought 30w for 50 g tank is just nothing. But it looks like those 30 watts is counted for photoperiod I will decrease it.
thank you again
Regards
NN

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
On my old 53 gallon tank 30 Watt was 40% of the total light I had ;) Yet I could grow every plant well.

regards,
dutchy

bluedragon

Prolific Poster
Apr 21, 2010
Thanks Dutchy
A quick question
One of the biggest reason I had all lights on (160w) for few hours was because of glosso, they are growing upwards and not forming carpet. Is it possible to grow carpet plant in 50 gallon tank with 130watts? I tried seperating each glosso and pushing them all way to the botton with just few leaves on top yet they grow upward. I was told by you, Left C to cut down on light and I did, but went back to 160 for few hours because of glosso. Can I still grow glosso as carpet?
Regards
NN

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Your light should be more than enough to grow Glosso as a carpet. The problem with your Glosso could be caused by lighting it with only 30 Watts for a total of 5 hours. More consistent lighting, like I suggested previously or even using the 30Watt lamps for just half an hour twice a day could make it better. I use lower light intensities too for half an hour twice per day but just as a goal to not stress my fish.

bluedragon

Prolific Poster
Apr 21, 2010
Sounds good, I will set the light as you have suggested, Just done with 50% WC and planting few new red plants :) good timing for fixing the light timer as you suggested

1 hour 30W
8 hours 130W
1 hour 30W

Regards
NN