This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Plants and pearling

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Skirmitch@gmail.com, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Skirmitch@gmail.com

Skirmitch@gmail.com Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:44 PM
    Hey guys, I have a question about a discussion I have with a friend which is so difficult to put it so both of us are satisfied that I will have to explain the whole dispute. I have googled the answer but the answer I get does not satisfy my friend due the fact that he wants to see this specific case.

I have a newly setup tank, scarcely planted (picture in the end), no fish, nitrite's spike, no water changes, homemade CO2 at 2 bubbles per second, canister filter, spray bar submerged so it makes waves but with no noise (its in my bedroom), 82 degrees temp, 16 d gH, very high nitrites and nitrates, 80 gallons per hour filter, 25g tank, ph less than 7, over 6.5, 60 watt home made fluorescent lighting consisting on 3 bulbs of 20 watts each rated 1200 lumen each of cold white light (rated 6500 K I think) immediately over the tank, separation of bulb from the water of no more than 2 inches (u will see in the picture), all nutrients SHOULD be high since I dosed before setting it up, the first plants have less than a week and 99% of the plants are leftovers from friends, mainly from pruning, plants have new shots, I observe growth but I'm not expert to say if its a lot, too less or normal. Got some diatoms spike as well in some parts of the substrate (got a microscope, corroborated those are diatoms), tank has been there for about 3 weeks, plants been there for about 1 week.

I think that's all the info you would need.

My plants do NOT pearl, I only see a bubble from time to time but not even close to what pearling is. The question or the facts debated are as follow:

My friends position: More light = more photosynthesis and so more oxygen created, my plants (very matured tanks of 10 gallons DENSELY planted) do pearl, so the conclusions are these:

1st.- My plants are each producing more oxygen than yours because I have better lightning and the demonstration is that mine pearl and urs not

2nd.- If you had a better light ur plants would be pearling

3rd.- Pearling is the measure of how much oxygen ur plants produce so if ur plants do not pearl and mine do, that means ur plants are producing less oxygen than mine or else they would pearl the same or more than mine.

4th.- after all that, its obvious that u need a better light

My position: We agree that more light = more oxygen production cuz of more photosynthesis (oc with a saturation limit) but pearling is not a measure of how much oxygen a plant is making since pearling depends on the oxygen saturation of the water tank, so my conclusions are as follow:

1.- The fact that my plants do not pearl do not necessarily mean that ur plants are producing more oxygen than mine, they could be producing the exact same amount, u just have more saturation of oxygen in ur tank given the amount of plants or the filter or whatever other reason and thats why u have pearling, not cuz ur plants are producing more oxygen.

2.- Increasing the light does not necessarily mean my plants will pearl and I actually think they wont cuz I think the problem is oxygen saturation in this case given the amount of plants I have and the cycling, also that the plants were planted a week ago from cuttings I got for free.

He denies my version since he says a single stem plant in my tank should pearl YES OR YES given good nutrition, good light, good CO2, a single stem should be enough to saturate the water so pearling is observed

I proposed a little experiment to him to corroborate which he accepted: I wont touch my aquarium for 2-3 weeks. In this period the plants should grow, have accustomed to the new environment and also the amount of bacteria will stabilize, the amount of nitrites and ammonia will drop and so the oxygen consumption will decrease thus activating pearling in my tank without changing any light nor nothing. He says it wont cuz the problem here is light. Will attach pictures of the tank in question (PS: I will upload this post to another forum as well to have as many opinions as possible in case some of u r there too)

2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Not pearling is not an issue. Home made CO2 and too much light may cause issues though...

3. Skirmitch@gmail.com

Local Time:
    hey dude, absolutely out of topic, I know the possible issues of too much light but what issues might home made co2 bring?

4. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Home made CO2 can be OK, but they are inherently unstable - lots of CO2 initially and then it tapers off to almost nothing. It is hard to stay on top of it enough to have a stable CO2 and flow.

If you're really into this, get a pressurized tank and regulator with a reactor.

5. Skirmitch@gmail.com

Local Time:
    aaaaahhh cuz of that, u mean u dont like a yeast reactor, that can be fixed with citric acid. The problem is that here in Chile stuff like that are somewhat expensive and in this specific moment I'm REALLY poor, if I could I would buy it like rn.

6. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Then lower light intensity.

7. Skirmitch@gmail.com

Local Time:
    Wait, I didnt understand the conclusion. U say that while I cant afford a pro (normal) CO2 equipment to better lower the light intensity and rise it back up when I have proper CO2? That's what u mean?

8. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    You need both, light and CO2.

I have currently running 3 tanks. One is high tech and plants there pearl 2 hours into photoperiod. CO2 comes 2 hrs before lights and I have about 1.3 PH drop by then.

The second tank has high light but no CO2. Only Excel and can plants there never pearl. It's a Finnex planted+ over a 7 in high tank.. too much light and too much algae.

the third tank is low light tank but high CO2 .. no fish so nothing to kill. That tank never pearls either.

9. Skirmitch@gmail.com

Local Time:
    Well, some plants are starting to pearl, weird. Dont know whats going on (havent changed a thing)