Plantex CSM+B question

Dmaaaaax

Prolific Poster
Jan 9, 2009
I recently started using Plantex CSM+B instead of Flourish. I have heard from some to keep the diluted Plantex liquid mixture at room temp (less crystals/sediments) and others say 4C (less chance of stuff growing in it).

Which is better? Even at room temp where I currently keep it, I notice a lot of stuff settling out. Is this pretty normal, and should I try to warm it up to get everything back into solution before adding it to the tank?

Question2: When medicating a tank, should I continue to dose everything as normal? KNO3, K2PO4, KH2SO4, Plantex CSM+B, Excel...etc.

Dmaaaaax

Prolific Poster
Jan 9, 2009
Anyone have any comments?

Also....I had to medicate my tank for Columnaris using Paraguard, and noticed that 2 of my plants seem to be sensitive to the medication? One is stargrass, can't remember the other. The stargrass is green on top but the stems are now turning clear. Has one else noticed this with stargrass and certain medications or am I missing something else? I keep it trimmed fairly often as this thing usually grows like a weed.

I checked my various chemicals and noticed that KNO3 was being used like gangbusters, so I am dosing daily for now. My fish are understocked for now since I was setting this tank up to display Discus, so I knew KNO3 would be somewhat limiting. Other than that, everything looks good.

jackpot21n

Junior Poster
Jan 5, 2009
Wisconsin
Not sure about the first question, but do not medicate for fish in a planted tank. The medications will kill the plants. You must quaranteen the fish and medicate them seperatly.

Dmaaaaax

Prolific Poster
Jan 9, 2009
Unfortunately this was not possible. Columnaris is a bit hard to spot at times, and by the time I did I felt I needed to treat all the fish. There is also some reports that this bacteria can survive and grow on the tank glass. So, in this case I felt it best to treat the whole tank. :(

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
I keep my CSM+B mixture refrigerated. If you have particles settling I would try dilluting your mixture more.

I also wouldn't warm it up, I'm not sure what heat would due to the chelator.

Dmaaaaax

Prolific Poster
Jan 9, 2009
JDowns;32690 said:
I keep my CSM+B mixture refrigerated. If you have particles settling I would try dilluting your mixture more.

I also wouldn't warm it up, I'm not sure what heat would due to the chelator.

I mixed 2 Tbsp into 2 cups of water. I thought this was the "norm". Do you/others here tend to make it more dilute?

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
im not sure why you want it premixed? I just dry dose every other day with teaspoons and its easy and done in about 10 secs.

Dmaaaaax

Prolific Poster
Jan 9, 2009
ccLansman;32703 said:
im not sure why you want it premixed? I just dry dose every other day with teaspoons and its easy and done in about 10 secs.

I've never seen a dry dose amount for Plantex CSM+B. How much would you add per 10g or 20g to get 0.1ppm Fe?

Isn't it something really small like 0.025 tsp per 20g...whatever that is.

Mooner

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colorado
Mix the CSM+B with tepid water then refrigerate. This will take care of the sediment and storage issues. I use 3 Tbl spoon to 500ml of tap water. then dose as you would TMG (or TPN).

Dmaaaaax

Prolific Poster
Jan 9, 2009
Mooner;32711 said:
Mix the CSM+B with tepid water then refrigerate. This will take care of the sediment and storage issues. I use 3 Tsp to 500ml of tap water. then dose as you would TMG (or TPN).

Ok, thanks. I am using double your dose since 3tsp = 1Tbsp and 2cups is close to 500mL. That might be another reason why it is settling out.

Mooner

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colorado
Dmaaaaax;32712 said:
Ok, thanks. I am using double your dose since 3tsp = 1Tbsp and 2cups is close to 500mL. That might be another reason why it is settling out.

Sorry, miss type, 3 tbs (table spoon) to 500 ml, not tsp.

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Thats a little richer than what I mix. But I divy it up by 20ml dose per EI daily dose for 25 days. But pretty close. Letting it sit overnight in the fridge seems to dissolve any last particles. One final shake and its mixed well.

Mooner

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colorado
I also use this mix at 6.6ml 3x per week. I've used 2-3 tbs per 500ml with good results. It's cheaper than that darn liquid gold TPN (TMG).

Dmaaaaax

Prolific Poster
Jan 9, 2009
Hmm...well then, my Plantex should have dissolved. Maybe I just needed to use tepid water to begin with. I assume everyone is using distilled or DI water or does that matter?

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
well since no one has mentioned dry dosing i guess ill throw this out there. Is it better to dose CSM+B in liquid form over dry?

(sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, thought this might help)

Dmaaaaax

Prolific Poster
Jan 9, 2009
ccLansman;32726 said:
well since no one has mentioned dry dosing i guess ill throw this out there. Is it better to dose CSM+B in liquid form over dry?

(sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, thought this might help)

It probably depends on your tank size. This stuff is so concentrated that I cannot accurately measure it for my 75g tank. The dosage I see is that 0.1g will dose a 20g tank to 0.1ppm Fe. So for me measuring out 0.4g is more of a pain then making a liquid dilution and dosing ~7-10mL, 2-3x a week.

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
ahh, what about the EI method, i think it calls for 1/8 tsp? Have you tried that? I have a 60gal and this makes me wonder if im under dosing.... I put in 1/8 cms+b + 1/8 Chelated Fe

Dmaaaaax

Prolific Poster
Jan 9, 2009
ccLansman;32729 said:
ahh, what about the EI method, i think it calls for 1/8 tsp? Have you tried that? I have a 60gal and this makes me wonder if im under dosing.... I put in 1/8 cms+b + 1/8 Chelated Fe

Actually we are dosing about the same, I just never did a conversion for g to tsp.

If I have 2Tbsp in 500ml that is the same as 6tsp. If I dose 10mL that is 1/50 of the 500mL. 6tsp/50 = 0.12tsp each time I add 10mL.

1/8tsp = 0.125. I guess I could have added 1/8tsp dry, I just never did the math until now. :) However, you are adding extra iron that I am not.

Dmaaaaax

Prolific Poster
Jan 9, 2009
I figured out my problem. I made a "rookie" mistake. I used tap water to make my Plantex CSM+B solution. I found that my tap has somewhere between 1-5ppm of phosphate which probably combined with the iron in the plantex to make Iron phosphate over a few days in the bottle. This compound is insoluble in water.

I have since made a new solution using distilled water and had zero sediments form. Just thought I'd pass this along for anyone else just starting out.:D

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
Are you sure your water has that much phosphate, i think somone said that over a certain ppm was illegal(i could be off).