This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Planted Saltwater

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by reiverix, Aug 8, 2005.

1. reiverix

reiverix Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

My plan is to set up a 15g saltwater planted tank to make use of some spare stuff lying around. Here's what I have.

15g AGA tank
    100w titanium heater
    bag of aragonite
    96w 50/50 PC light
    stacks of macroalgae from 55g reef refugium

This leaves me with the live rock to buy. I also plan to keep a few easy corals like mushrooms and ricordia but the main focus will be the macroalgae. Not sure about fish yet. Maybe a pipefish. The question is about dosing. Is there a marine equivalent of IE? I'm assuming that the plants will need some form of NPK or is enough supplied with the salt mix?

2. fishface

fishface Guest

Re: Planted Saltwater

macro in a saltwater tank is normally, mostly for nutrient export...that is the natural cycle of feeding and wastes of other tank inhabitants is taken up by the macro which is then cut and taken from the tank...there should be NO NPK in your marine mix and macro should grow like a weed if given enough light. that said, i highly recommend researching pipefish as they are one of the most difficult fish to keep and do not survive well in captivity. best of luck and a good thing to remember: in marine tanks good thing happen slow, bad things happen very fast... :rolleyes:

3. reiverix

reiverix Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Yeah lol right enough. My salt mix for my reef tank says no nitrates or phosphates. I must have been in la la land. I've got a 7g fuge on my 55g reef and the macroalgae does a great job at nutrient export. Still, in a mostly macro tank I can't seem to get my head around the fact that no additional dosing is needed. My LFS has some really neat pipefish that will only feed on guppy fry but maybe a 15g would be a pushing it a bit.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Shrimp, blood or cleaner etc work great.

One fish, crabs, turbo snails etc.

Alk and Ca++ are huge issues.

Yes, you can do EI on a smaller marine or a reef tank, weekly 50% is not bad on a 15 gal tank.

You can extend things out to 2 weeks as things settle in.

I dose roughly 3-4ppm every 2-3 days and PO4 at 0.2ppm at those same times.

This is for a densely planted Marine tank.

Traces, Ca/alk can be added liberally.

Aeration is your friend, a skilter would work well.

4" of aragonite, mulm, and well soaked mud(soaked for 2-3 weeks), about 1/4" or so on the bottom and mix with the arag 's first 1", then cap with 3".

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Also, onyx sand is great!
    It's calcite with Fe and Mn.
    Grey coast calcite is the marine trade name for it.

Regards,
    Tom Barr