Planted Nano with Betta - Size Advice

Quilterxx66

Subscriber
Sep 14, 2015
Hi All,

I’m preparing to buy a new tank, and I need help choosing the tank. I want to heat and cycle the tank. I want to make sure that it has a large enough volume of water to do it successfully with a stable cycle.

How will a Betta fare with Aqua Soil Amazonia?

Is 5.3 gallons of water enough or would I be better off with the 8 gallons? The tank will be placed on top of my desk if the weight of water is a consideration. I also plan to have a betta as well as plants.

Thank you.

Sourpuss

Nov 20, 2017
Minnesota
5 gallons is big enough. 8 gallons is more stable. Lots of plants will help. Depending on the attitude of your betta, you could add 1 larger breed nerite (zebra or tiger) or 2-3 or the smaller horned nerite. Some betta ignore them while others pester them to death. I had mine in 4 gallon, heavily planted tanks.

hn5624

Aug 4, 2017
North carolina, USA
I think you should actually add as many variety of plants as possible.
Every single betta I've ever kept acted pretty lethargic when kept in bare tanks. I'm not sure of their intelligence, but it they really seemed almost "bored" in a sense.
Given the opportunity to be in a densely plantedtank, they are always exploring everywhere, searching every nook and cranny for food.

I say bettas seem to be livelier when kept in tanks with massive amount of surface area to explore with total tank volume being secondary.