Planted 36"x18"x17" Tank-Blyxa Japonica not Doing well

SanamMarik

Junior Poster
Aug 19, 2015
Kolkata, India
Hi All,

As this is my 1st post here, so a little intro from my end. I am Sanam Marik from Kolkata, India.

I am into planted hobby for just last two years. In this time period I have done many tanks (15-16 or more) of varied sizes from 10" cubes to the one mentioned in the thread name. I own a total of 11 tanks and 10 of which are planted ones.

I love the Dutch Style aquascaping and hence work on that only as with this style I can learn growing plants as well as aquascaping. :)

Now, back to the topic- This tank is two months old.

Tank Specs-

Tank Size - 36"x18"x17"

Working Water Volume- 145L

Tank Temp- 21C(70F)

Filter + Surface Skimmer- SunSun HW-302 3 stage external canister filter 1000lph

Additional Flow - SUNSUN JVP - 110 Wave Maker 2000lph (initially I used 800lph power head)

Lights - Osram T5 6500K(2000 lm) x 3 + local T5 Blue(35") x 1(blue added after cycling of tank)

Photo Period-10 Hours

Water Column Height - 14"

Distance between Light and Water Surface - < 1cm

Reflector- DIY with Thermocol, Art papers, Adhesive and food Packaging Grade Aluminium Foil.

Substrate - DIY -> 3.5kg Soilrite capped with 20kg Sand Gravel

CO2- 2 BPS

Diffuser- New Diffuser G-025-L

Dosing- MacroLab->Grade NPK, Micro- Rexolin CXK, Rexolin EDTA Fe

Dosing Method- N-20, K-35, P-7, Mg - 8

WC Schedule- Once Week 60-70%

All of my plants are doing quite well except for the Blyxa Japonica imo. Can some one please let me know what I am missing here.

Pic of unhealthy Japonica

Pictorial Reference of the tank from Day 68(ignore the sucker please :( and the macrandra too, I was experimenting a bit with it and something went wrong, will get it back soon)

Thanks in advance for all your guidance.

Regards,

Sanam

Last edited by a moderator:

UDGags

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 13, 2009
Kettering, Ohio, United States
Two things come to mind when I look at your pictures...

• The substrate isn't nutrient rich. I know when I had japonica in AS it grew a huge root system and flourished. I think it might get most of its nutrients from the substrate so maybe try some root tabs..
  • The limnophila is shading it too much and blocking the light. It's hard to tell in the pictures but just a thought.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
It is very weedy in my 180 gallon tank, plenty of current, moderately bright light etc, ADA AS, rich CO2, ferts can vary pretty widely.

I think perhaps a bit more NO3 might help also. It grows fast, so leaner tanks tends to do poorer and same with the CO2.

You often will see progressively smaller and smaller growth/plants when not happy.

SanamMarik

Junior Poster
Aug 19, 2015
Kolkata, India
UDGags Thank you for your response. the substrate I used contains Peat moss mostly to specifically help rooting. I have done substrate experiments over 1.5years with Downoi to check the factors and realized that substrate is not a big part as I can evn grow downnoi tied on a stone. Lights- the new leaves come with red tinge so I dont think light might be an issue.

Tom Barr Thanks a lot for sharing your insights. from the points you mentioned, I think its the flow issue. I just will turn the flow towards it and see how it reacts. Thank you.

Will update on the status in 2weeks time... :)

SanamMarik

Junior Poster
Aug 19, 2015
Kolkata, India
what I observed is that snails are the culprits and are eating up the new leaves... :|

Also good flow is required...will post updates once i get rid of the snails.

If you know dosing well u can grow plants on rocks...substrate is not an issue here as all other plants are doing well... :)

I have experimented this substrate with ADA Amazonia, this one doesnt lack any where... :)

SanamMarik

Junior Poster
Aug 19, 2015
Kolkata, India
Hey All, After a long time I 'think' I have been able to finally figure out the issue and its not snails or any other thing but the dKH. My Tap water thn was 11-12 dKH and thats why i might have been having great trouble at growing them, but luckily/unluckily the tap water is now 5 dKH and blyxa doing really well.

Please let me know your thoughts on this carbonate hardness factor and Blyxa japonica. :)

Regards,

Sanam