This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Plant Spacing Advice Please

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by bardus71, Jul 10, 2011.

1. bardus71

bardus71 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:52 AM
    Hi to the international aquarium enthusiasts & also to fellow AL members from Australia.

I am about to plant out my first scape with stems & groundcovers in a 4' low tech tank.

It will have gravel capped soil/potting mix, no ferts or CO2, and ~2WPG lighting on for 14hrs/day.

I have no references for how far apart to space my plants & groundcovers so they dont overcrowd once they grow in. Any advice or pointers to where I can get more info is welcome.

Groundcovers: Marsilea hirsuita, Stauryone tropica, Lilaeopsis spp, Dwarf grasshair

Stems: Ludwigia repens & scarlet ludwigia, Hygro polysperma & sunset hygro, lace fern, millifoil, ambulia, blood stargrass, Pogo stellatus, Val spp

Also: Crypt wendtii

Thanks,
    Bardus.

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi and welcome to the Barrreport,

As a general rule I use in the density of planting stems is that the leaves of one stem are allowed to barely touch the next plant. But then again, I like dense plantgroups. Also density is dependent of the amount of light you use. More light makes more density possible. If lower leaves fall off to soon, and it's not a nutrient deficiency, you might be overcrowding.

Ground cover can be planted in small groups or single plants with 1 to 2 inch spacing. The plant will do the rest.

You might find this resource useful:
    http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/

#2 dutchy, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011
  3. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Most Rotala sp like R rotundifolia can be planted in a bunch of say five stems or more. Hygrophila sp is preferably planted leaf tip to leaf tip apart.

4. bardus71

bardus71 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thats awesome advice so far, thank you. Does the leaf tip rule applt to things like lace fern & ambulia/milifoil type plants as well?