This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Plant name pronunciations

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by VaughnH, Sep 13, 2007.

1. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:38 PM
    I'm sure I am not alone in being lost while trying to pronounce the Latin names of the aquatic plants we grow. I usually just mumble the name and hope no one notices my ignorance. Today, I decided to begin correcting my ignorance, and stumbled onto PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide, where you will find the pronunciation of almost every plant we use. For example, how do you suppose you should pronounce "Alternanthera Reineckii"? It is, Pronunciation: al-ter-NANTH-ur-uh ry-NEK-ee-eye. I am bookmarking this site and I plan to be ready to speak Latin fluently the next time talk about plants!

You do have to register with PlantGeek to use that site, but it is free and easy to do.

2. JamesC

JamesC Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    That made me laugh as it is exactly what I do.

Thanks for the link.
    James

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Often times, hearing it helps considerably.
    As long as sounds good when you say it, there are often 2-3 methods of pronunciations.

Myriophullum is a good example.
    Taxonomist such as those that wrote the Jepson manunal pronunce it as Muh Rof Phil um. Other's: My Ro Phil um.

Both are correct BTW.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. tcomfort

tcomfort Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Nice link. I've gotten by thus far by just saying things like HC, sword, Val, Hygro, Glosso, etc. Your way is better. :D