This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice
  1. PlantedFishGeek

PlantedFishGeek Junior Poster

Local Time:
    5:10 PM
    Can you ladies and gentlemen please list for the the fastest growing plants for an aquarium that are legal to have, IE not on the federal noxious weed list. Thanks

2. yme

yme Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I would say: utricularia aurea. the fastest growing plants by far in my hands. needs 3-4x pruning a week.

greets,

yme

3. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Any of the following species all are candidates for fast growth, based on how many of it's needs are met and not limited in any way:

Ludwigia. Just about any of the species are fast growers.
    Hygrophila. Wisteria is nice and fast.
    Rotala. Rotundifolia is nice. Most are ez except maybe macandra...
    Amazon swords - many of these grow quickly whether large or small. Many produce numerous leaves very quickly.

Remember that any plant will grow better with more c02 and nutrients, lighting, etc.

Many plants will grow more quickly with these things in adequate supply.

Hope this helps.

4. Carissa

Carissa Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Some hygrophila (polysperma) is banned in certain parts of the US, possibly other places too.

5. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Plants which grow slowly when down near the substrate, can become racehorses once they get tall enough to get the more intense light they want. H. difformis is a good example of that, and for me, once it starts growing fast anywhere in the tank, all parts at any level in the tank seem to join in the race. L. aromatica is another that I found to grow increasingly fast as they get taller.