Plant ID

C

csmith

I was told it's needle leaf lud (ludwigia arcuata), but do they get this colorful? Disregard the wisteria floating with it on the left. Gravel + Stems * Frogs = :mad:

Ludwigiaarcuata.jpg

Last edited:

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
A Rose

Looks like Limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides'. That is what I have been calling it. The picture makes it a little hard for me to tell with the plants all bunched together. L. aromatica is a perennial herb and should have a mild sent. Submersed it forms a very atractive crown with light red to purple, non-hairy stem bearing leaves in worles of 3. Mine have lost most of there color due to low levels of CO2, based on my limited experience with aquatic weeds. Of course with CO2 they look more like this. The emersed form looks very different. After established, prune by cutting it back to get new, slow growth from the root stock and/or plant the cuttings for an immediate, beautiful, full sized crown. One of the reasons I like this plant.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheKillHaa

Prolific Poster
Oct 31, 2007
L. Hippuroides would have some "spikes" on the edges of the leaves,
ludwigia arcuata...mmm i dont think neither

from what i see on pict, these stems are most like rotalas.

C

csmith

Here are some better pictures. This is a list of all the plants my LFS could have acquired. Not too many match my pictures though.

Ludwigiaarcuata5.jpg

Ludwigiaarcuata4.jpg

Ludwigiaarcuata3.jpg

Ludwigiaarcuata2.jpg

Last edited:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
A Weed By Any Other Name

Hi,

Definitely not ludwigia arcuata, though in answer to your question, oh yes ludwigia arcuata can be very colorful through dark red/purple. :)

Certainly not limnophila aromatic, a better guess would have been limnophila hippuroides, if it were any of the limnophila spp.

The prize would have gone to argnom had the modern name Rotala rotundifolia been used. :eek:

Biollante

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Credit Where Credit Is Due

Hi,

Actually, argnom got it, old name Rotala indica, modern name Rotala rotundifolia. :cool:

Definitely not Rotala macrandra var. 'Narrow Leaf', close but, no.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myplants/109-Rotala_rotundifolia_Rotala_rotundifolia.html. Middle two images on the right.

I suppose Rotala Goias, could get a vote, but it is not http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myplants/110-Rotala_Goias_Rotala_sp_Goias.html.

There are number varieties of Rotalas and depending on light and lighting Rotala rotundifolia can have different hues, I have them from bright green to almost purple, all from the same starting bunch, acquired years ago. Rotala rotundifolia are a nice versatile plant that grows like crazy and people tend to ignore because it is plentiful and therefore cheap. :)

For those who like to brag about pearling plants and complain about having to trim constantly, Rotala rotundifolia is your plant. :rolleyes:

Biollante

TheKillHaa

Prolific Poster
Oct 31, 2007
definitivele my favorite plantas are in rotalas family (except for some luds)

here we have rotala macandra narrow at left. mexicana var goias at right, and some pogos stellatus var fine at back. at real life they look much better ;)
mexymac.jpg

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
It is rotala indica or rotundifolia as it is known..........at least in my opinion. I have had it many times and was always sold as either of these two names

Not narrow leaf variety fer sure....

Well, I think anyway lol

C

csmith

Thanks guys, rotala rotundifolia it is. Sorry to constantly bring plant ID questions, but when my LFS can't even give me the right answer on plants they order, and I can call them on it (with zero experience other than their own suppliers website) I'd rather just ask people that do know. Thanks again.

argnom

Guru Class Expert
May 24, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Yay! I win the prize!

You young ones with all your fancy new names... It's Papiliochromis ramirezi and Rotala indica I tell ya! We called it that way for years until some young person decided to change the name and confuse the heck out of us older people.
:gw

My LFS is the same csmith. There is this one employee that knows his stuff (and does most of the ordering). If I'm lucky enough, I can catch him when he's working, if not, all the plants in the tank are "some plant and will probably die in a few weeks anyway, so, who cares" according to the rest of the staff.

Biollante is right, this plant grows like crazy. I have to trim a stem or ten every week.

When grown submersed the leaves are narrow and pointed, when grown immersed, the leaves get round. The colors will vary quite a bit also. It's a nice plant imo.

Cheers!

/Oh yeah, and git' off my lawn! :gw

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
I Am Just A young Feller!

Hi argnom,

For including me among the "young ones" I will forget the naming conventions. :)

A very happy and young, :eek:
Biollante :cool: