Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

I would like some help in identifying the plants found at the following link:

gerrydirish/Plant id II - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

There are three plants in all.

The first plant is in photos 1-4.

The second plant is in photos 5-9. I think this is P. stellata

The third plant is in photos 10-14. It has a SOLID stem when broken. I think this may be L.hipporudies.

I appreciate any and all assistance.

Thanks in advance.

Mooner

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colorado
Hi Gerry,

Photo 9 looks like L aromatica. any distinctive smell when cut or smashed between fingers?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Chris,

Did you mean the background plant in that pic? That plant is in pics 10-14......

I was thinking that too if yes to above(L.aromatica), but not really that I could discern. A little different maybe, not sure. They all just smell earthy and fresh to me..........

BTW, I cut some stems of each and they ALL appear to be solid....

I thought one way to differentiate was that one of them, p.stellata I think had a hollow stem......

The last pics have the thickest stems.......

The other 2 plants are not yet quite as mature yet, so time will help.

Thanks,

Mooner

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colorado
Just talking about the foreground plant in 5 and 9. L aromatica is very strong, no doubt if you smell one. Definitely more than an earthy smell. So maybe not.

ceg4048

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2005
Hi Gerry,
I suppose there could be variations on theme but any specimens of L. aromatica or P. stelleta I've ever grown had leaves with serrated edges. This is not evident in photos 1-4 in which the leaves appear to be ovalate and smooth edged. Those plants look much more like Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba'.

I agree with Mooner that photo 9 appears to be L. aromatica as it has the serrated edges and has the strong purplish color on the abaxial surface.

On the other hand, photos 10 and on appear more like P. stelleta which normally has much longer leaves than L. aromatica and tends to sprawl out more. When healthy the abaxial surface of P. stelleta has an iridescent mauve tint rather than a solid purple. It's stem also thickens up much faster than L. aromatica.

To tell the truth, all these plants look severely bummed out due to nutrient deprivation and that's why it's so difficult to distinguish them apart. It's like looking at inmates at a prison camp - they all look the same, thin and weak. Normally, when fattened up like hogs there is absolutely no question regarding the difference between these three species.

This is an example of the destiny of P. stelleta. On the left you can see a mutant purple branch bullying its way up from the same plant. The purple doesn't last however. The crown in the foreground is about 6 inches across.

Here is what L. aromatica is supposed to look like:

An this is how L. inclinata var 'Cuba' expresses itself when given half a chance.
As you can see, none of these specimens can be confused with one another. This is the result of nutrient buildup coupled with massive CO2:

Cheers,

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Clive,

Thanks for the info and the pics..............Wonderful specimens!

I wasn't quite expecting the comparison to malnoruished prison inmates, but that is what perspective is.... lol

I can at least tell they are different plants, I don't agree they look the same. It may be more my camera and photo taking skills (or lack thereof).

I didn't think they were quite that bad.

You should have seen them 10 days ago covered in algae and stunted :)

From THAT perspective, things are MUCH better.

You may remember from our correspondence (and other threads) that it has only been 10-14 days or so since I started a massive EI routine and finally installed a mazzei to correct my c02 levels.

Plus, I was away for the last 6 days and a buddy could only dose twice during that time........

This new growth is at least algae free and colorful and looks better than it did. Remember that your tank has been stable for a long time, while mine has not.

As stated, time will tell.

I will post some more pics in 2-4 weeks and we'll see then..........

New EI for my tank:

Daily

3 tsp of Kn03
2 tsp of KH2P04
100 ml of TMG

50-60% WC with Prime.

If I dose less Kn03 than stated, I will get a bit of BGA almost immediately.......

My drop checkers show yellow, good c02 mist, and excellent pearling from almost all plants.

Things are much improved and getting better all the time.

As always, thanks for the replies.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi mrkookm,

Thanks for the positive id confirmations and the links!

Thanks to all for the prompt replies.

Good to know what I am trying to grow...........:D

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Gerry,

Re: your daily dosing schedule:

Daily

3 tsp of Kn03
2 tsp of KH2P04
100 ml of TMG

I thought TMG (TPN) had iron in it, so you were not supposed to dose it in the same day that you dose KH2PO4. Is that not correct?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
I thought TMG (TPN) had iron in it, so you were not supposed to dose it in the same day that you dose KH2PO4. Is that not correct?

Just SIMULTANEOUSLY is a bad thing.

4-5 hr separation is fine. I've done this and believe Tom has mentioned.

Yes, sorry should have been more specific.

K and P first thing in the morning and then TMG about 6 hours later when I break for lunch....

No problems so far..................well with the dosing ;)

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
ceg4048,

Inmates are responding well to the new rations sir!

All,

I added some pics from today to the original link at the top of the thread.

You can see what 3 weeks of good growth can do. I think I have the ferts right, now just working on c02 and flow.............

L. Aromatica has replaced both Cabomba species and has filled in the entire center.

Ludwigia inclinata cuba has multiplied to replace the didiplis and on both sides now.

P. Stellata broadleaf is living up to it's name. Stems are very thick and they grow out of the water easily........Remember it is a 24" tall tank.

Great color on all and algae issues are less all the time. Biggest issue is bga on some of the leaves.... and I dose heavy kn03 too......bio-mass has increased on all many times over....

The aromatica and inclinata have been topped a few times to eliminate the algae ridden lower leaves. The aromatica is doing the best, great color and density, now really starting to branch and get thick.

I was going to top the stellata, but there is so much branching on the lower levels I want that to grow out and I am going to wait a bit and see how high out of the water they will go.

Thanks

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
What size tank are you running gerryd?

180 gallons. I reduced the TMG and now doing the following:

Daily

3-4 tsp of Kn03
2-3 tsp of KH2P04
10-20 ml of TMG

Have also started using 2 tsp of GH booster on WC day. Has helped I think with the form of the various leaves....

50-60% WC with Prime

Still working on c02, filtration, and flow.

More of a journey I think than a destination :)

ceg4048

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2005
Gerryd;28143 said:
ceg4048,

Inmates are responding well to the new rations sir!

All,

I added some pics from today to the original link at the top of the thread.

You can see what 3 weeks of good growth can do. I think I have the ferts right, now just working on c02 and flow.............

L. Aromatica has replaced both Cabomba species and has filled in the entire center.

Ludwigia inclinata cuba has multiplied to replace the didiplis and on both sides now.

P. Stellata broadleaf is living up to it's name. Stems are very thick and they grow out of the water easily........Remember it is a 24" tall tank.

Great color on all and algae issues are less all the time. Biggest issue is bga on some of the leaves.... and I dose heavy kn03 too......bio-mass has increased on all many times over....

The aromatica and inclinata have been topped a few times to eliminate the algae ridden lower leaves. The aromatica is doing the best, great color and density, now really starting to branch and get thick.

I was going to top the stellata, but there is so much branching on the lower levels I want that to grow out and I am going to wait a bit and see how high out of the water they will go.

Thanks

Brilliant stuff mate.:cool: Now I guess I'll have to stop referring to the tank as "Stalag 13" in favor of something like "Shawshank Redemption" :p

Cheers,

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Clive,

Dang, only up to the Shawshank redemption in your rating system?

You are a very harsh critic my friend as that was a nasty place as well.;)

I was hoping for a comparison to one of our fed joints at the very least lol.

Later,

ceg4048

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2005
Hey Gerry,
Good golly, I thought I was being kind. Have you seen "America's Toughest Prisons" on the Discovery channel? Brutal. Shawshank had it's own library and they even listened to opera (once). Life was so good there (mostly) that James Whitmore actually hanged himself after he got out 'cause he missed it so much.:rolleyes:

Look, after a couple more weeks of decent growth you graduate to the Pescadero State Institute for the Criminally Insane (where you need you own personal Terminator to bust out), and a few weeks after that mate you'll be cruisin' at the Minimum Security White Collar Crime Facility (with flat screen plasma TV and Doritos in the lounge), OK? :cool:

Cheers,

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Clive,

Care to rank these pics now? This is < 10 days since the last pics/posting.

Start with picture 25 as that is the overall view from the last post. A big difference I think.

Pic 26 is from today so is a good comparison. The rest are all shots of the various species to show the growth and some detail. Much prettier than I can show.

Here is the whole album. It covers 30 days exactly.

Image of Overall growth - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I think they are looking more like they should and are now due for a major trim, esp that aromatica! I just took a couple of branches that came in on a bigger stem and next thing I knew, whoa!

What a beauty, but it does grow like a weed!

All three species are really doing very well and branch all over with no help from me. When I do prune, the branching is even more profuse.

Just want to demonstrate the rapid growth of some of these more 'difficult' plants. They have presented me with no more challenges than h. difformis :)

I have more issues with Anubias due to bga than anything else.

If anyone wants/needs any of these 3 species, let me know, I have plenty.

Thanks,