This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plant ID please... no idea what genus it is.

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by pepetj, Mar 28, 2011.

1. pepetj

pepetj Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

I picked up this plant from a guy that has collected some wild aquatic plant specimens. He also growths (in rudimentary ponds) species brought to the trade or received as gift.
    [​IMG]

He doesn't recall how he got it. I got a few specimens and have been able to adapt them quite well in soft/acidic planted tanks, both in low to mid light, with or without CO2. The plants are still young for me to appreciate its maximum height or width.
    [​IMG]

It shows a beautiful red coloration under its leaves that darkens as the leaf grows. It's a beautiful plant I haven't been able to ID despite my web search. The white ruler is a six inches I borrowed from my daughter...

I count on you to ID this one for me.

Thank you

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

#1 pepetj, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
  2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Cryptocoryne

of some sort would be my guess. I can guess at species but would rather wait....

Crypts can sometimes only be id when they flower.....

So may be in for a long wait unless your tank experiences a dry season :)

3. pepetj

pepetj Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Following your lead I'm leaning to ID it to asCryptocoryne cordata variety... what would you think?

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

5. fjf888

fjf888 Guru Class Expert

I have had what I thought were growndcover crypts into giants. I thought I had gotten some form of crypt wendi at the store which then it grew two feet tall and looked like a crypt balansae. Emersed and submersed can totally change the leaves as well. But I agree with Gerry definitely a form of crypt.

6. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

The Hello Kitty Ruler Is The Key

Hi Pepetj,

I guess I am with everyone else, I think Cryptocoryne cordata (blasii), should you see a little purple, could be Cryptocoryne cordata Griffith var. grabowskii, which I think is being reclassified as C. cordata var. zonata.

As Gerry mentioned it is the flower that usually allows the positive identification.

It is possible, likely in my ever-humble-potted-plant opinion that this plant was growing emersed and is transitioning to the “flooded” or submerged condition.

Either way these plants appreciate a little shade and will eventually take over. These are great plants to grow in pots or in a bog.

I took the liberty and messed with your photos a bit to try to bring out some detail, sometimes it helps, and sometimes it leads us astray…

For future reference I would recommend a little faster shutter speed.

[​IMG]

Biollante

7. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Close Enough

Hi Pepetj,

Other messed with photo.:eek:

It is the new growth I am concentrating on as I think the plant is transitioning.

[​IMG]

Biollante